Pinching out annual seedlings

Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo
--
Jemo

I don't do this but Ingrid does.
<http://www.gardenguides.com/528-just-pinch-can-work-wonders.html
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Why would you want to do that to a cabbage?
--
- Billy
Jemo wrote:

You probably can do it but it wouldn't always be any advantage. What is it that you are itching to pinch and why?
David

Your use of the word pinch out and annual sort of threw me. I was just out back doing some pinching off of a deciduous azaleas. Thing is I called the action deadheading a very good thing to do.
<http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/g/Deadheading.htm
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Pinching and deadheading are not the same thing. Pinching is done to tender new growth, long before flowering, usually to increase branching and thus increase the number of leaves and/or flowers.
Basil may be pinched to decrease flowering and increase leafing.
Crysanthemum etc. may be pinched to increase flowering. To get the mass-of-flowers display seen in garden shows, intensive pinching is required.
In fruit and ornamental trees under intensive management, suckers and water shoots can be controlled by prompt pinching.
    Una

Sort of reminds me of painting wounds then not painting wounds controversy . There is also the issue of the $1 tree and the $10 hole versus the $10 tree and the $1 hole.
Nature confusion with much room for learning from mistakes.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Just my opinion maybe, but to me the flowering stem is the best part of the basil plant for making pesto.
--
- Billy