Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit

Hello again,

I have a Starkspur montmorency pie cherry tree. When I first brought this tree home 3 years ago, it was 5 ft tall with over a half dozen cherries on it. Since then I've received tons of blossoms every year, and the tree is 7 ft tall, but this year is the first time I ever received fruit since first planting. I had _one fruit_ this year...a great fruit, mind you ;) but still a little lacking on quantity.

I have with me the original card that came with the tree. It says its a semi-dwarf pie cherry, and "super productive". If one cherry every

3 years is super-productive, I'd hate to see the ones that skimp ;) It also says it's "self pollinating", which I am also highly skeptical about.

Since it had tons of fruit while at the nursery, I can only guess it needs a cross pollinator to set fruit, which it shouldn't, since it's a pie cherry. If I needed another pie cherry to cross-pollinate this one, can anyone recommend any? Would another montmorency be appropriate?

Can pie cherries cross-pollinate each other? Do cross-pollinating pie cherries set a lot more fruit than single pie cherry trees? It's been difficult to find this info, everything on cross-pollination is about sweet varieties. Thanks very much, Dan

Reply to
dstvns

I don't know the tree, but many require cross pollination and/or do better when surrounded by a number of other trees.

Other possible problems, weather, local conditions of soil, moisture or weather or just a lot of transplant shock.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What zone are you in? When I was a kid we had several old sour cherry trees in the yard. They were amazingly productive in years when we had cherries -- but only perhaps every third or fourth year was a "cherry year". The reason being that in Cleveland OH, the average date of last frost is fairly close to when the cherries are in flower. If there was a warm spring and then a late May frost, then brown mushy blossoms, no cherries. Cold March/April with no late frost ===> many cherries.

- Alex

Reply to
Alexander Pensky

You are being a little impatient. Pie cherries usually start bearing in 4-6 years, and nothing bears heavily when it is young. Add a year to account for transplant shock, and you get 5 years at the earliest. Your tree sounds about five years old.

You might also lack pollinators (bees). Self-productive plants may still need a pollinator to transfer the pollen from the male to the female parts of the flower (sometimes, they are diffferent flowers on the same plant).

Reply to
Ben Sharvy

I think I must've asked this question a couple months ago. I will try to remember this time :)

Yea, I saw the first honeybee today in about 4 years. Hopefully they are now recovering.

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

Reply to
J. Lane

Being from Columbus Ohio, I should have noted that as well. Down in Columbus we did not have the problem you may have had in Cleveland, but we would get an occasional year without cherries.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hope so. I believe I saw a report not too long ago that said some mite resistant varieties (I believe a behavior change, more grooming) had been observed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

well except for dwarf fruit trees. my cherries on Gisela bore the year after I planted them. Ingrid

and nothing bears heavily when it is young. Add a year

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo