Pictures of Hellebores

Hello,
I placed today Picures of my Hellebores on my website. I raised them (mostly) of seed from Ashwood nursery's.
Enjoy your visit
http://members.home.nl/rene.blom/index.htm
Regards Rene
Quite a collection!
Do you know how the species got its name? Did it come from near the Hellespont, or did the dusky colors and shady habitat suggest the environs of Styx and Acheron? zemedelec

Hellespont,
'Helleborus' comes from the Latin word 'helleborio' meaning mad - the ancients believed hellebores contained chemical properties which could induce or control madness. A very popular ingredient in various mysterious potions and apparently used in witchcraft and other pagan practices. The plants are toxic in all parts and to varying degrees - some folks are very sensitive to even the foliage while others encounter reactions from seed harvesting. Wouldn't advise eating the things :-)
pam - gardengal