Picking time

I have seen zucchini approach the size of a VW in size. I know they couldn't be good, as the ones I like are about 6" long and about as round as a silver dollar. Is there a trick to harvesting squashes? When it looks the right size? Will they just keep getting bigger like zucchini? I got one big honker of I think banana squash that is over a foot long, but still light green. How do you tell if they're ripe?
Steve
SteveB said:

Banana squash is a winter squash. It needs to be left on the vine until ripe. At that point, it will be pinkish/tan in color, with a very rind and a hard, corky stem. Banana squash is a variety of Cucurbita maxima and as the species name suggests, the fruit can be quite large -- often 15 - 20 pounds, possibly 40 pounds or more.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."