Photos of infestation

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada (close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how to combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive responses..
Here are the photos:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipelinor/album?.dir 9cscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

well, the holes are from a woodpecker. woodpeckers eat assorted inscects that crawl on or burrow in trees, so the holes are a good thing. if the tree appears healthy i wouldn't worry too much about it, but you might want to keep an eye out for borers or carpenter ants. lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Jimi said:

Sap wells drilled by yellow-bellied sap suckers. You could try using flash tape to scare them off. Otherwise do what you can to keep the tree in excellent condition. Most healthy trees can tolerate some sapsucker damage.

Thank-you!
Thanks guys for the information............ Since I love to see the birds around and the tree seems quite healthy, I think I'll let nature take care of itself. I was alarmed when I saw the holes in the tree. I thought it was a bug or larvae infestation. Now that I know it's a woodpecker, I'll leave him alone. He's out there trying to make a living like the rest of us. Thanks again for the responses.
Warm Regards...Jim
says... :)
:) :) > Jimi said: :) >> :) >> Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have :) >>three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada :) >>(close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the :) >>holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how :) >>to :) >>combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive :) >>responses.. :) > :) > Sap wells drilled by yellow-bellied sap suckers. You could try using :) > flash :) > tape to scare them off. Otherwise do what you can to keep the tree :) > in excellent condition. Most healthy trees can tolerate some sapsucker :) > damage. :) > -- :) > Pat in Plymouth MI ('someplace.net' is comcast) :) > :) > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. :) > (attributed to Don Marti) :) > :) Thank-you! :) :) Thanks guys for the information............ Since I love to see the birds :) around and the tree seems quite healthy, I think I'll let nature take care :) of itself. I was alarmed when I saw the holes in the tree. I thought it :) was a bug or larvae infestation. Now that I know it's a woodpecker, I'll :) leave him alone. He's out there trying to make a living like the rest of us. :) Thanks again for the responses. :) :) Warm Regards...Jim :)
A couple of info links... http://www.gardenline.usask.ca/pests/sapsucker.html http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fid/june97/06209714.html
Lar
The uniformity of the holes look to be sapsucker (woodpecker) damage: http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/Weekly_Picture8-20-01-1.html
Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin