PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not

All one has to do is to touch a ripe seed pod of this wild flower to understand where the common name comes from. The pod explodes, sending the seeds in all directions. When walking through a stand of Touch--Me-Nots, it can sound like rain if enough of them are ripe.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com
snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com wrote:

They are very pretty -- are they invasive? Can I buy seeds/plants at the local nursery?
thanks. As always, I look forward to your photos.
Pat
Touch- Me- Nots are also known to releive any kind of skin irritatains for a short time. Though this does not help the healing process it can be used as a quick releif remedy. Chuckie in the thawing north, zone 5

They self-sow themselves freely, so yes, they are invasive, but easily removed - by the handful!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com wrote:

Snazzy!
Jerry

When I was growing up in Ohio, we had huge areas of jewel weed, which we also called touch-me-not. I'm not sure if it was exactly the same variety as in your photo, but we were told to crush it and use it on poison ivy and insect bites for a little quick relief from itching.
MaryL