PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tortoise Beetle

This most curious insect was found chomping on an eggplant in the garden. It appears at first to be a large scale insect until it starts walking around or flies away.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Jack, Cool looking bug. Your website had a comment about Morning Glory and Nightshade and I always thought Morning Glory was a Nightshade so I did a little checking and It looks like the Morning Glory family is part of the Nightshade order. Don't know if I got the semantics right(Family, order and such), but eggplants appear to be on the tortise beetle approved menu.
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761577471/nightshade.html click on the see Nightshade link
gls858