PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sapsucker

Although his yellow belly is barely visible in this picture, the way he goes about sucking sap is quite evident.
js
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com
snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com wrote:

Do they eventually kill the tree?

USDA Zone 8

I dont know but that's a good question. Anyone?
I have all these pines and sap and no YBS
On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:54:41 GMT, "Travis"

Only a guess, but I'd go for not killing the tree. Think of the maples and birches that are tapped by humans for their sap every year and survive quite well. I doubt that even a flock of the birds working in concert could kill trees.
Cyli r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels. Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.
http://www.visi.com/~cyli email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.invalid (strip the .invalid to email)
Cyli wrote:

Did you see all the holes in the bark?

USDA Zone 8
I LOVED your web site ! Thank you ! Dakotabear1