PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Pelecynid Wasp

This interesting wasp ranges throughout North America feeding on flower nectar. The male is hardly ever seen and quite inconspicuous by comparison. It's abdomen is short and blunt.
JS
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com ,
Too darned cool! We had a live specimen brought into the office @ a month ago. When the person initially called on the phone and talked about the long "stinger" on the back end of the critter, I had no idea what it could be. Then when he brought it in -- ta da -- it was easy to see what he was talking about. I'd never seen one in person before, so it was a real treat! Thanks for sharing another great pic. Your site rocks! Suzy O

Thank You Jack for the Great photo AND information!
Kate
: > This interesting wasp ranges throughout North America feeding on flower : > nectar. The male is hardly ever seen and quite inconspicuous by : > comparison. It's abdomen is short and blunt. : > : > JS : > : > -- : > PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm : > Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver : > http://schmidling.com : > , : > : :
snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com wrote:

Neat. I've seen them around on occasion and never had a clue as to what they were.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Nominated Photo Of The Year. I've never seen one of them, they're awesome.