PHOTO OF THE WEEK, If look could kill

Whenever were hear crows, jays and even chickadees raising a ruckus this time of year, we need look no farther than the Wood Duck nesting box.
Jack Schmidling wrote:

If I was to put up a box like that in my yard it would be taken over by squirrels within days and no bird would have a chance against them. I put up a dozen hexagonal and octagonal boxes of my own design -- cedar wood and copper-covered roofs. Almost immediately I found the squirrels remodeling them to make the openings large enough to enter. I tried covering the fronts with polycarbonate shields with appropriate sized holes over the originals figuring that even squirrel incisors couldn't chew bulletproof plastic but in a couple of cases they just chewed their way in from the side. For now I've given up, at least until I can figure a way to weld up bird boxes from steel plate.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Last Year I saw a robin that drove off any squirrel that came into the yard! Must have had a next nearby!