PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Giant Leopard Moth

It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Cool picture.
--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Yeah, they show up around here from time to time. The big hickory moths are impressive, too. I somtimes find the detached wings of large moths on summer mornings. I assume it was either bats or nighthawks that killed the moths and devoured the torso.
J. Del Col
jadel wrote:

Some evidence that our cat may take a few large moths--we find wreckage every now and again in the garage (which of course is open to ANY cat-size critter.
--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:
Jack Schmidling;802966 Wrote:

Woo, I know moths are harmless but I wouldn't want to run into that big boy.
--
Trackerway