PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Duckweed

Page 1 of 2
We had been so plagued with duckweed on our small pond that we just declared the war over and lost interest in the pond. By late Spring, it was a sea of green and might as well have been filled with cement. Other than frogs, we could see nothing in the way of life in the pond.
js
Jack- A few years ago, I put in a very small pond in my backyard. When it was completed, I sent off to a pond supply company for some Duckweed. I think it makes a pond look natural, and Koi and Gold Fish love it as a treat.
I think I paid around $24.00 for the supply including the shipping.
The fish ate the Duckweed in short order, and I'm now without any.
Your picture makes me envious - I'm betting you could put an ad up on Ebay, and become a Duckweed Baron.
Myrl Jeffcoat http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Far as I can tell, these "photo of the week" postings are automated, mostly for self-glorification, should he stumble upon a well taken photo. Walking up to a pond, and pressing a button on a point and shoot does not make you a photographer. Furthermore a year's worth of poorly taken photos posted weekly on usenet does not meet the definition of a photo of the week.
-S

Nice troll. No go away.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

You're right, we should have lied and said "Wow Jack that was a nice photo!" Unless you want tell me you believe that this was a well taken photograph.
-S
Snooze wrote:

Wake up Mr Snooze.... the only thing automated seems to be your sour grapes.
js

Then please enlighten me, exactly how do these pictures qualify as being "photo of the week"?
http://schmidling.com/duckwd1.jpg
http://schmidling.com/duckwd2.jpg
I mean, besides walking up to the edge of the pond, and pressing a button on a point and shoot?
The lack of resolution limits an in-depth critique, but here goes. 1. Appears to have some motion blur, a tripod would have helped. 2. Impossible to tell that it's a picture of a pond, if we didn't know it was duckweed, we'd think it was a forest meadow. 3. if the picture was taken lower and closer to the foreshore, we'd get more detail of the pond surface. 4. longer exposure would have improved the detail on the far left shore, or the use of photoediting software.
As for the picture of the paddle boat, highly uninteresting subject matter, and even less photographic detail, even the ripples are blurry. Could you even tell that the person is scooping up duckweed, and not some fish? Clumps of duckweed look more like clumps of algae.
The phrase photo of the week implies you'll showcase your best 52 photographs, not 52 haphazardly taken photos. Unless this was one of your 52 best photos.
-S
Snooze wrote:

Being my web site, I reserve the right to define what a photo of the week is. I have been doing this for ten years and have never missed a week. I never claimed they were trophy photos and frequently the interest is in the story not the quality of the photo.

I doubt most folks would consider a $900 Canon Digital Rebel a point and shoot nor the tens of thousands I have invested in the equipment used to take all the astrophotos that I have been posted over the years.

Then why bother. Low res photos tell the story and make life easy for those of us on dialup. Where resolution is needed, I crop.
So now that I have given you the courtesy of an answer, kindly tell us what is bugging you or what your mission is.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com

Sad really. I've taken better with a point and shoot. Heck I've taken better with the digital camera feature on the camcorder.
-S
snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com expounded:

Jack, he's a troll, nothing more. Ignore it and it will go away.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

Good idea. I was going to ask him how his point and shoot works on the Andromeda Galaxy or a 5 billion lt yr quasar.
js

Didn't take you long to try and compare camera penis sizes.
Try this one, taken with a camera that makes yours look like a mercedes benz limo.
http://www.unixgeek.org/snooze/images/P1012018.JPG
-S
On 6/8/06 2:38 AM, in article TBPhg.47229$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com, "Snooze"

but even my 7 year old daughter gets lucky sometimes pointing the camera.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak On 6/8/06 2:38 AM, in article
TBPhg.47229$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com, "Snooze" snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" snipped-for-privacy@mc.net wrote in message
Ann wrote: Jack, he's a troll, nothing more. Ignore it and it will go away.
Good idea. I was going to ask him how his point and shoot works o the Andromeda Galaxy or a 5 billion lt yr quasar.
Didn't take you long to try and compare camera penis sizes.
Try this one, taken with a camera that makes yours look like mercedes benz limo.
http://tinyurl.com/f6pd3
-S
Nice photo!
but even my 7 year old daughter gets lucky sometimes pointing th camera.
Cheryl
you know something it seems like everytime jack posts a pic someone ha to pick on what he posts and has nothing good to say about it. well there are others in this group other than those people who ar constantly criticizing the pics that do enjoy looking at them. i for one look forward to jacks postings. i dont know who died and made anyone god or gave them the right t judge others for what they did or didnt do right or wrong. its amazing how many people think that they are better than others an can do things better than others. those people should stop and take a look at their own lives and clea out their own closets before they start putting others down. jack thank you for posting the pics that you do i for one do enjo looking at them and look forward to your pic of the week:). cyaaaaa sockiescat
-- sockiescat
On 6/8/06 9:42 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk,

I happen to love looking at Jack's photos and the troll just really hit my buttons. Sorry if I disturbed your reading.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak On 6/8/06 9:42 PM, in articl
snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk, "sockiescat" snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:
Cheryl Isaak On 6/8/06 2:38 AM, in article TBPhg.47229$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com, "Snooze" snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" snipped-for-privacy@mc.net wrote in message
Ann wrote: Jack, he's a troll, nothing more. Ignore it and it will go away.
Good idea. I was going to ask him how his point and shoot works on the Andromeda Galaxy or a 5 billion lt yr quasar.
Didn't take you long to try and compare camera penis sizes.
Try this one, taken with a camera that makes yours look like a mercedes benz limo.
http://tinyurl.com/f6pd3
-S
Nice photo!
but even my 7 year old daughter gets lucky sometimes pointing the camera.
Cheryl
you know something it seems like everytime jack posts a pic someon has to pick on what he posts and has nothing good to say about it. well there are others in this group other than those people who are constantly criticizing the pics that do enjoy looking at them. i for one look forward to jacks postings. i dont know who died and made anyone god or gave them the right to judge others for what they did or didnt do right or wrong. its amazing how many people think that they are better than other and can do things better than others. those people should stop and take a look at their own lives and clean out their own closets before they start putting others down. jack thank you for posting the pics that you do i for one do enjoy looking at them and look forward to your pic of the week:). cyaaaaa, sockiescat.
I happen to love looking at Jack's photos and the troll just really hi my buttons. Sorry if I disturbed your reading.
Cheryl
Cheryl i hope that u didnt think what i said was meant for u because i wasnt it was meant for the troll. i enjoy looking at jacks pictures as well and dont think that the trol has the right to criticize anyone because its not the trolls pics we ar looking at its jacks and if anyone doesnt want to see them then the shouldnt click on the posting at all;). cyaaaaa, sockiescat:)
-- sockiescat

First of all, I'm not trolling.
The moment you claim something is the photo of the week, you invite people to comment on it. It implies that Jack is showcasing the best photo that was available that week. Unless Jack only wanted people to politely say "nice picture," even when that's not the truth.
Everyone takes bad pictures, I've taken thousands of bad pictures, it's only through honest feedback that I've improved my photography skills. Plus I do the same thing professional photographers do, take multiple pictures, in the hopes that one will turn out well. Extra memory cards, and batteries are a cheap insurance policy.
-S
Snooze...
Yu better hope Carol Gulley does not find out your hiding here or she will screw up this group as well just to get to you........Carol aka Koi Lo is currently having a huge melt down..........I suspect it shoud not be too much longer until she is off the usenet and no longer a cancerous tumor to the various groups. Her Directway.com account got dropped last night........and the ZAPTO and Henrynet news accounts went bust as well...Her current and newest account Shared-Secrets is on shakey ground as well as her Bellsouth dialup account. Hate to suffer the losses she did when Directway pulled the plug on her last night..considerable $$$ invested in what is now worthless equipment to her. They have her coordinates so its unlikely she is gonna be able to sign up with a different name as the location is marked.

Marl Jeffcoat wrote:

Better yet, let's ignore that sour grapes posting and send me your address and I will send you a bag of nice fresh duckweed.
Then I need to get some some goldfish and sell the boat.
I really have a hard time believing the goldfish thing but I am never too old to learn something new.
One thing for sure, the ducks don't eat it.
js
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:01:22 -0600, Jack Schmidling plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

I believe the goldfish story. :-)
Many years ago when I kept goldfish in an outside pond I needed to grow duckweed in a separate pond without goldfish. When I had a sufficient supply I would scoop up a net full to give them which they treated as food and it would be all gone in 5 - 10 minutes.
--
Erik Vastmasd