Phal bulb

A couple of months ago I was elated over seeing my first sight of a bulb about to open. It did and lasted almost 7 weeks. In the meantime another bulb was slowly emerging and I mean slowly. I clipped off the shrinking flower. My question is that I've seen many bulbs on a plant like this, but mine merely shows one at a time. Right now, with the latest bulb about maturing, I don't see any signs of another coming. Am i doing something wrong?
YES!!!!
You are doing something terribly wrong.
What in the heck is a Phal bulb anyway?

Cereus-validus-...........YES!!!!
You are doing something terribly wrong.
What in the heck is a Phal bulb anyway?
"TonyB" snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com wrote in message
A couple of months ago I was elated over seeing my first sight of bulb about to open. It did and lasted almost 7 weeks. In the meantim another bulb was slowly emerging and I mean slowly. I clipped off th shrinking flower. My question is that I've seen many bulbs on a plant like this but mine merely shows one at a time. Right now, with the latest bulb about maturing, I don't see any signs of another coming. Am i doin something wrong?
if i am right CV its a type or orchid. tony here are a few links that might help u find out whats going o with your phal bulb. http://tinyurl.com/kd9mx http://tinyurl.com/rfnn8 http://tinyurl.com/loywz http://tinyurl.com/p8pgm good luck sockiescat
-- sockiescat
TonyB wrote:

Are you talking about a Phalaenopsis orchid? If so, they don't have bulbs.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:

Well shoot me...as you can tell that I am a novice orchid grower...but i think you get what I'm talking about if you guessed right that it is a Phalaenopsis orchid ) moth orchid variety. Just what is it called that comes out of that spike...that is if you call it a spike.
TonyB wrote:

I merely asked to be sure what you are talking about before I expend any effort to reply. Don't be so snotty.
Phals send out a long stem with multiple flower buds (sometimes called a "spray"). When one flower fades, remove only that bud. More buds might form. Remove the entire stem when there are no more flowers.
I keep mine in a north-facing greenhouse window with other houseplants. Since my house is not "square on the compass", the window is not true north. In the summer, it gets morning sun; then, I hang shade cloth over it. See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/indoors.html .
My phals are planted in clay pots with bark chips and no soil. I water them every second week over the kitchen sink. I block the pots' drain holes with my hand and slowly fill the pot with water until the bark at the top of the pot starts to float. Then, I allow the water to drain away.
On the weeks I don't water them, I feed them. I mix 1/4 tsp of commercial orchid food in a quart of water. After setting a pot in a large bowl, I slowly pour the food into the pot, wetting all the bark at the top. I lift the pot out of the bowl allowing the liquid to drain. I recover the excess liquid to feed my second phal and then recover what is left to begin watering the rest of my houseplants.
Phals should be watered weekly, but the feeding substitutes for a watering. Care must be taken that no water or fertilizer gets into the center of the plant, which can cause fatal rot.
Phals generally bloom only once a year. They can be forced to bloom more often with controlled lighting and temperatures, but this might weaken the plant. Plants purchased while in bloom might have been forced; they might not bloom at home for a year or two while they recover.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
David E. Ross TonyB wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote: They don't even have pseudobulbs either!!!!!!!
"David E. Ross" snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.not wrote in message
TonyB wrote:
A couple of months ago I was elated over seeing my first sight of a bulb about to open. It did and lasted almost 7 weeks. In the meantime another bulb was slowly emerging and I mean slowly. I clipped off the shrinking flower. My question is that I've seen many bulbs on a plant like this, but mine merely shows one at a time. Right now, with the latest bulb about maturing, I don't see any signs of another coming. Am i doing something wrong?
Are you talking about a Phalaenopsis orchid? If so, they don't have bulbs.
--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com /
sockiescat wrote: >

NOT BULBS!!
My miniature phal is magenta.
The other one (standard size blooms) has not bloomed since I bought it less than a year ago. The picture on the pot it was in was somewhat faded, but it looked like a mixture of magenta and white.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Come on folks, you know what the person means for Pete's sakes.
I'm not sure why you only get one flower at a time, I can't seem to get phals to rebloom for me. I can reblooms Paphs and Dens though!
Tom
Tom Randy wrote:

Well, a real man has responded..thanks Tom. Some people in this group expect everyone to be as knowledgeable as they may be. Where would this group be if it weren't for newbies? can do without the sarcasm.
phaels dont like direct hot sun. they do fantastically well in an east window. put them on a pebble tray with a little water for humidity and give em a good soak once a week. too much misting rots the crowns. they dont really like much fertilizer. a few of those time released "pearls" are fine. now I cant get paphs to even live!!! Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

exposure ( shielded from the sun ) it is on top of my tray fill with water for the humidity which comes from radiator. I do water and fertilize 20-20-20 weekly. This is from a web page that I found on this type.
too much fertilizer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Also, try the orchid newsgroup and do a google search on Phal orchids.