Pet Safe Vines?

Page 2 of 2
On Nov 12, 11:36?am, Scott Hildenbrand

Grapes... concords smell heavenly.
A few starters:
Ornamental gourds; squash; cucumbers scarlet runner beans pole beans asparagus/yardlong bean rambler roses
keep the beans picked inside the pen -- raw seeds are slightly toxic.
My idiot lab bites the vines off the pen when he's bored, so now he gets "six shooter" type tall corn outside the pen for shade. My uncle's labs never bothered gourds, squash or morning glories, but would eat any cucumber they could reach.

Hmm. I would still suggest sweet peas, which according to <http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Lathysp.htm is only toxic if large quatities of the seeds are eaten. Which, given the growing habit, isn't likely - you'd have to deliberately collect them.

And they have lovely flowers.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
John M. Gamble wrote:

The problem with sweet peas is that they only look good in the spring. When the hot weather comes they stop blooming and (around here) by June they look really bad (yellow foliage, no flowers).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
grapes. tough. edible. Ingrid