Pet Safe Vines?

See Elwood and Whatling, 2006. Grape toxicity in dogs. Vet Rec. April 8; 158(14):492

Campbell and Bates, 2003. Raisin poisoning in dogs. Vet Rec 2003;

152(12):376

Penny, Henderson & Brown. 2003. Raisin poisoning in a dog. Vet Rec 2003

152(10):376

Singleton. 2001. More information on grape or raisin toxicosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 218(10):1555-6

etc.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Wow... Almost makes it seem like dogs can't be around anything.. I'm still at a loss of something safe to have around them..

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Another problem with unprotected grapes is that, when they start to get ripe, they draw LOTS of birds. The bird eat and crap (a lot). The bird do-do carries many diseases that dogs can pick up by just waking through it.

Reply to
Bill R

All of the reports are anecdotal. From the last article given below: "The toxic mechanism remains to be elucidated, and the apparent lack of a reproducible dose response relationship has led some authors to suggest this may reflect either a component of the fruits that is present in varying quantities,or the existence of an extrinsic compound that may not always be present"

Our dogs have always eaten grapes and even raisins and lived to well past their "natural" life span. In the wild wolves eat grapes. They have not yet found any toxin in grapes, that is no "mechanism" of toxicity.

I find it interesting that there were NO reports of grape toxicity in dogs until recently. HOWEVER, we now know about all the toxins in the food on the shelves, toxins that cause renal and liver failure.

"Could you please tell me what the signs and symptoms of the melamine poisoning are in dogs?

A: Signs to watch for with a suspected melamine poisoning includes vomiting, inappetance, lethargy, urinating more frequently, and drinking more water. The melamine is a renal toxin and can cause acute kidney failure. In dogs who already have compromised kidneys, the symptoms are more severe. When the kidneys fail, they are unable to clear the proteins from the blood, causing nausea. Some dogs will vomit. Most will not be interested in their food. In attempt to flush the kidneys, the dogs will be more thirsty and urinate more frequently. If your dog is showing any of these clinical signs, we recommend having your veterinarian check a renal bloodwork panel and a urinalysis."

THE DIFFERENCE? my dogs eat a raw meaty bone diet bought from a local human food store. No processed, commercial dog foods, no melamine contamination, no aflatoxins, no grains, carbs etc that compromise their health.

Reply to
dr-solo

wild grapes are excellent, as is Virginia creeper. altho the birds do eat the ripe fruit, they usually fly away to crap somewhere else. the only time we noticed blue streaked poops was when we had a mountain ash and when it was ripe a flock of birds (the ones with teh yellow stripe on the end of the tail feathers) would show up to eat all the fruit. Ingrid

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:24:20 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

Reply to
dr-solo

replying to Bill R, Ha wrote: Clematis are highly toxic to cats and dogs per other websites....

Reply to
Ha

replying to mleblanca, Dawn Neill wrote: Grapes are toxic to dogs

Reply to
Dawn Neill

I just read Clematis are toxic to cats and dogs?!

Reply to
vicky