Permanent Digital Moisture Meter for Plants

Does anyone make a digital meter that can be left in a small plant and show the water saturation of the soil around the roots 24x7? I have played with the "Thirsty Light" and find it to be inaccurate and toyish:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)54794481&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=digital+hydrometer+plants
I find plant moisture meters, but they are intended for occasional use, not designed to be left in the plant all the time.
I am imaging something that looks like Thirsty Light, but simply reflects a number 0 to 100% (or whatever scale is most meaningful) to reflect current water saturation at the depth the probe has been inserted. Then you can on an ongoing basis try to target particular saturation levels.

W wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)54794481&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=digital+hydrometer+plants
Such are used in agriculture, for example by orchardists to continuously monitor soil moisture. Some have radio links to a computer that records the data (along with weather observations etc). This can be as sophisticated as you like if you have the money.
Strange that the link refers to a hydrometer whcih is another instrument altogether for measuring liquid density.
Or you can save a whole lot of money and learn to interpret your finger poked into the soil.
David

Any specific manufacturers or models to recommend?

W wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)54794481&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=digital+hydrometer+plants
i don't use them and the chances are I am half a world away so retailers will not be relevant.
replying to W , RGrandall wrote:

I use this soil moisture meter http://www.vegetronix.com/Products/VG-METER-200 /. Although I don't know if it was originally intended to be left in a pot continuously, I have left it in there for days on end, and it hasn't done any damage to the device. Although it is a little more expensive than the cheapo devices you get at home depot, it is a lot more accurate (believe me when I say I've gone through my fair share of meters...). I finally reached this meter, and have been happy with it for the 3 years that I've had it.
Hope this helps!