peppers

Hi all,
This may seem like a silly question but I've never seen anybody talk about it before. Can I take some bell pepper seeds out of a pepper I get from the grocery and plant them? Do they need to dry out or be put in the refrigerator or anything?
Pat

Last fall I took some seeds from a store bought pepper and dried them over the winter. I planted indoors a while ago and now have three large plants with the beginning buds of little bell peppers. I don't know if they need to dry, or dry that long, but thats one way to do it. ...I think I read somewhere that store bought peppers are usually hybrids and the seeds usually won't produce good peppers -- I'll have to wait and see.
Jeremy
jeremyal wrote:

I was just wondering because I have a pepper I got from the grocery that was gorgeous red and huge, plus it was really tasty. I've let them dry and put them in the refrigerator just in case. I just wondered if I planted them now if they'd grow. I've never seen it mentioned before.
Pat
Yes you can. As long as the pepper is ripe "most often red but not always" remove the seed and let them dry. Plant them when ready
HOWEVER Most grocery store peppers are hybrids. This means the seeds might not grow plants that produce the same pepper.
also assuming these veggies havent been irradiated and remember most are soaked in chemicals
but you have nothing to lose so good luck
DanS The Pepper Center http://www.peppercenter.com
DanS wrote:

Thanks Dan! I'll give it a try.
Pat
You can probably get peppers from them. However, since most peppers are hybrid, what you get may not be the same as the original pepper. On the other hand, it will most likely be edible.
PatK wrote:

dps wrote:

Well, that's the main thing. :)
Pat