Peony dead spot

I have a row of about 20 peony plants established about 20 years ago. They grow great and bloom great with one exception. Right in the middle of the row is a dead spot. Nothing will grow there. If I plant a peony there, it will send a shoot up in the spring but before it is 6 inches tall, the base will rot and thats it. I have tried digging out the soil and replacing it to no avail. What's my next step? What do I look for? I'm thinking of just digging the two established plants on either side and moving them just a tad bit closer together to smooth out the gap but I really would like to get a new plant to grow
JMagerl wrote:

I would try to grow some annuals there and see what happens. If they do well I would try peonies again after that you have your soil tested. Your local county extension office can likely do that for you at little or no cost.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?
Val wrote:

It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds from Thompson & Morgan, http://www.thompson-morgan.com
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969
Bill R Val wrote:
"Bill R" no_weeds snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com wrote in message
What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?
It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds from Thompson & Morgan, http://www.thompson-morgan.com -- Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)
Gardening Since 1969
unless u definitely know what is causing the spot not to grow anything i really wouldnt jump at moving your peony bushes closer together because i dont think this is going to solve your problem. i do think that if u did this u might end up losing two good bushes that are well established just for the fact of closing in a bare spot. an idea might be to find a statue or something that would accent your peony garden and place it on the bare area rather than start fooling around with something that is really well established. the only other thing that u could do is get a soil test kit and test your soil or send a soil sample away to be tested. good luck sockiescat
-- sockiescat