Penstemons in north Jersey

Is anyone growing Rocky Mountain Penstemons in New Jersey? I bought some seeds from Park Seed but after I received them I read that they don't do well in the northeast; that they're better for the arid West regions. Park says they should grow okay here. I'm wondering if I should exchange them or give it the old college try.

Thanks. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Whattya got to lose by trying? $3.00 ? Do your best to duplicate the conditions they apparently like. For example, if they like dry-ish soil, don't mulch them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd try them. Your yard may have a microclimate that's perfect for them.

Jacqui

Reply to
Chris and Jacqui

Actually, they were only $2, but those two dollars could buy alot of frustration! Sure I can try them. But I don't really have the time to spend coaxing a plant to grow here if others (with more time) have already tried and given up. I've already done that with perennials that are SUPPOSED to grow here! Plus, Park said I could exchange them if I want.

I'd like to hear from folks who have already tried them and hear what they've found.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Gardening is all about dreams and accepting failures and disasters. Don't coax them. Plant them and see what happens. If they require too much attention, they'll die.

Having said that, Wayside Gardens site makes me think they'll do OK:

checked both of Henry Mitchell's books and found nothing about penstemon. You might like the books, though: The Essential Earthman and One Man's Garden. He gardened in Washington DC, not THAT far from your climate. If you follow a lot of his plant advice, you should be broke and living on the street in no time at all. Too many good suggestions, never enough money.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Doug I have grown several penstemons. They are 'no fuss plants' little or no fertilizer, little water, and no mulch. They do need very good drainage- NO clay soil. They can be planted high and on raised areas where drainage would be good. They would not like a combination of lots of water and high humidity. Rocky Mtn is one of the easiest to grow, and is longer lived than some. They are a most beautiful blue. Take s look at HighCountry Gardens:

they sell many penstemons and have some growing information and hints.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca