Penstemon

How can one tell if the plant is still alive. its in the original pot bought from Loews, and I have a few days to return and get a refund. I see no new growth here in NYC area. Kept indoors for the winter..although its suppose to be hardy type.
If it doesn't have any leaf growth then it is dead.
Its just that simple!!!!

They will likely replace it if you want to try again?

All due honesty, you killed it by keeping it indoors all winter. So, if you want to do the right thing, you won't make Lowes pay for it. If you want to see if it's alive, push it out of the pot and look closely at the crown of the plant. If you see nothing, it's dead, but you are the one who killed it. I am not trying to be rude, but as a retired garden center manager I can tell you it's very dishonest to make someone give you a refund when you are the one at fault. But Lowes will honor their warranty.
snipped-for-privacy@thebestplace2bee.org wrote:

you want

fault.
Sounds accurate to me.