penstemmon R.I.P.

Hi everyone. Hope you've had a good gardening weekend. SO here's my question.

It was a pretty atrocious winter. Here in S/W Kerry we had the most snow and the longest periods of frost since the sixties. Can you help me make a hard decision on whether my penstemmons failed to survive the winter or whether I need to be more patient?

There is absolutely no green anywhere and the twigs I have broken off snapped off cleanly - brittle with no bend at all. I'm more than a bit ticked as they're four years old. Does anyone feel they might bounce back with more time. Its really hard staring at dead plants. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
eggplant

I'll vote for patience...I'm in Oregon and my garden took a beating this winter too. We had prolonged record sub-freezing temps, snow and hit a low of 9 degrees which burst pipes all over town. At first look my Penstemons (Sour Grape & Apple Blossom varieties) looked stone dead.

Made a note to pull them, but when I went back to actually clean the beds a week or two later, way down at the bottom of the very dead stems I found the tiniest little green leaf buds. Have had them die way back before and as long as there's a spark there, they seem to recover and bloom vigorously. No harm in giving them a bit of time.

Nancy T

Reply to
ntantiques

I'm with Nancy - patience is a hard thing to council, but what change a week or two might make.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

At least 1/3 of our azaleas have 2/3 leaf damage in the form of a burn or dryness. They still bend a good sign BTW. Strange that some are OK and others affected may be age related thou. This winter so far was down to 6 F. where last year we had a -5 F. with no azalea damage. Hmmmn. I intend to wait and cut back as a last resort. Also in process of replacing some as they are about 40 years old and have been fighting borers all their lives. About to remove leaves and construct a small light intensity plant thingy. Rumor has my brother next door intends to put three large commercial greenhouse up next door. I may see If I can lease 20 sq. feet for greens etc.

Reply to
Bill who putters