Peepers!!!!!

Well it's that time again. Came home this early afternoon from a nice brunch with Squire while he's in town this weekend, and son to discover the surrounding land is with the passionate throbs and trills of the PEEPERS!!!
Beautiful sunny day today smelling of the oncoming Spring. The snows are almost all gone, hints of it's presence are still evident on the floor of the surrounding woods beneath the trees and on the northern sides of houses and what not. More crocuses in the western bed under the lilac are open like colorful little bird mouths gaping at the sunlight above them. They will all close in the late afternoon to hold tight against the cool evenings in chance that they can open a few more days before they fade into papery thin remnants.
To me, the coming of spring has many signs, but one of the truest ones I have learned since living here is the sounds of love surrounding me. The sounds of Peepers.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Nary a peep from either peepers (grey tree frogs for those who don't have them) or crickets yet. Haven't even seen any of the normall-numerous five-line skinks on their favorite sunning spot on the wall out back either . Guess the sporadic late snow and freezing temperatures in Knoxville are holding everything back a bit and everything is still holed up under the leaf mould in the woods. But the crocuses have been blooming despite it all, the Mahonia is blooming and attracting the early bees, and the hyacinths and daffodils should be blooming in a couple of weeks. The nightly chorus can't be too far behind.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Nary a peep from either peepers (grey tree frogs for those who don't have them) or crickets yet. Haven't even seen any of the normall-numerous five-line skinks on their favorite sunning spot on the wall out back either . Guess the sporadic late snow and freezing temperatures in Knoxville are holding everything back a bit and everything is still holed up under the leaf mould in the woods. But the crocuses have been blooming despite it all, the Mahonia is blooming and attracting the early bees, and the hyacinths and daffodils should be blooming in a couple of weeks. The nightly chorus can't be too far behind.
--

> John McGaw
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]
being in the frozen tundra of zone 5 my standards are a little lower. My first snowdrop is blooming yesterday and the robins are showing themselves, altho I havent heard much chatter yet. Its 43o on its way to 55 for a high. hoo haaa. Ingrid

hey now, my snowdrops were the first to show their little heads too despite them being few in number and in a raised bed on the west side of my house........everything counts when Spring is concerned~! maddie