Peat Moss (Help!)

Okay I need peat moss but the only quanity avalible is 3.8 ft bails. I live in ohio as many of you know and I would like to find a place that will sell me a greater quanity. Also a place that I can buy from that will not break my buget. I found one place but I would have thousands of dollars in it and that is not what I can do. I have checked the places that sell soil and they do not carry that much peat moss. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. I am looking to get a yard or two not much more than that
Is this just to add organic matter to your soil? I ask because you can do the same thing with humus, the product of composted leaves, and many counties or communities in my part of Ohio have a composting program, and will sell or deliver humus in larger quantities. I ordered five yards once; I wish I had ordered two, but I didn't realize how big a cubic yard was, plus they were very generous in their measurement. They will sell screened humus at a higher price; I think its worth it, unless you need some old shoes and a few boards.
Chuckie wrote:

New lawn?
I am putting a new garden in. Yes I have humus but I do not have enough

Do you have a bagging attachment for your lawnmower? If yes, you can gradually improve your soil by mulching with grass clippings. I know you're supposed to leave those on the lawn, but they're also useful for adding organic matter to the garden soil. Of course, if your soil is absolutely hideous, some peat moss is a good idea. But typically, you'd add maybe an inch or two of peat moss, till it in, and wait till later in the season to add more.
Chuckie wrote:

Sunshine Peat Moss (3.8 Cu Ft)     $18.95
http://www.groworganic.com /
I've never bought bulk peat moss but I usually like their prices and products.
Kate
In article snipped-for-privacy@thisaintreal.com says...

Holy crap is that expensive! I just bought 2.2 cu. ft. bales at Home Depot on sale for $4.
I know $18.95 for a 3.8 bail of peat moss thats crazy! I can pay $10 for a bail that size around here. But the fact remains is that I want the peat moss. I found one place I will have to check. I am going to mix the peat moss with composted leaves and compost and put it on my new garden. Chuckie
Chuckie I know $18.95 for a 3.8 bail of peat moss thats crazy!
I can pay $10 for a bail that size around here. But the fact remains is that I want the peat moss. I found one place I will have to check. I am going to mix the peat moss with composted leaves and compost and put it on my new garden. Chuckie
chuckie if u know someone in your area that has a fair sized bush lo it might be worth your while to take a trudge through their bush an see if there are any trees that have rotted because a lot of times can get the peat moss from the middle of those downer trees. we hav one near our drive shed that is going to provide us with some reall nice stuff this year as its pretty rotted out. we did leave it ther for that purpose and its great:). hopefully with all the suggestions u have u can find a way to ge things the way u want them. good luck. cyaaaa sockiescat
-- sockiescat
Hey I did not think of that. Thanks

an alternative that may be acceptable and is cheap (as it is considered a waste product) if you have a farm near you is spent mushroom compost.
rob

You have to watch mushroom compost. I regret using it. The following year my lawn had a lot of weeds to treat.

I haven't used it on a lawn but do use it to add organic matter to soil in gardens where it does bery nicely.
rob

if the compost is properly treated before it is sold it should be fine. The stuff I use is amde from horse shit and straw. It is hot composted before becoming a growing medium for mushrooms. The waste product is then steam sterilised (avoid any that is chemically treated). If I wanted to be cautious I would leave it for a few weeks in a pile totoally degrade. The compost may not have been the source of weed but more to do with the reaction of weeds liking it.