Peat

Is top soil plus some peat the same as peat-based compost?
Its just that I'm building a terrarium and they say peat-based compost, but all the stuff they sell has added bits of vermiculite or other white stuff in it which doesn't look so nice. I bought a big bag of top soil ($1.28) and a bag of sphagnum moss peat and was wondering if that would make for a good terrarium when mixed.
Thanks!
-Dean
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 05:43:22 -0700 (PDT), DeanB

Compost may be a problem in terrariums due to fungus growth. A mix of 50/50 top soil/peat moss should be a good terrarium mix. The peat moss may lower the pH a little and that can be adjusted (if needed) with a small amount of whiting or ag lime. It would be a good idea to bake the wet mix for an hour.
On 6/17/2008 5:43 AM, DeanB wrote:

Use my do-it-yourself potting mix. See <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html . Since aterrarium generally has NO drainage, none of the nutrients will leach away; thus, reduce the amount of nutrients from the recipe. It should still have a trace of compost, but that too should be reduced.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean