Peach Trees in Minnesota

I am looking at trying to grow a peach tree in Minnesota where it can get very cold in winter. We tried to grow one a few years ago with no luck. We are looking at getting a Bailey Peach tree, they sell them locally around here. I am unable to find a whole lot of good info online. From what I know they grow in zones 5+, MN is zone 4. Can anyone give me some info on Bailey's or suggest a good peach for MN we have also considered reliance but they are hard to find. Thanks.

Reply to
wendymg

do a Google search on peach trees for MN

Reply to
Jangchub

Hi Wendy,

I am surprised people are growing Bailey Peach trees for their fruit. The Bailey Peach tree is generally used as a root stock because it is cold hardy (good for zone 4). The peaches from a rootstock are almost certainly bad tasting. You may want to put a cold hearty varitety atop a Bailey Peach rootstock. The most cold hearty peach I know of is Reliance, good from zone 4 through 8. There may be others, but you will have to research that for one you like.

Sherw> I am looking at trying to grow a peach tree in Minnesota where it can

Reply to
sherwindu

That last - local availability - tells you nothing. Nurseries will sell you anything.

Here in Southern California (Pasadena), nurseries sell all kinds of fruit trees that are unsuitable for the region. In our case, it's usually trees that need more chilling hours (vernalization) than we get around here; likely the reverse of your problem. I bought a bare root pear tree (Comice) a few years ago, and that thing has done nothing. It puts out some attractive leaves, but it hasn't flowered in the six years I've had it. I bought a bare root cherry tree (Stella), which supposedly had low chilling requirement, and in the first three years in which it might have born fruit, I got two, one and zero cherries from it. This year, it has about 25-30 cherries growing on it, and I'll get, inshallah, a dozen or fifteen if I can control the stinking squirrels and birds.

Reply to
Rudy Canoza

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo