Peach trees

Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.

Peach trees are self pollinating. For the backyard fruiit grower semi dwarf trees are much more managable than standards. http://www.answerbag.com/article/How+Do+Peach+Trees+Get+Pollinated%3F/2dafe67f-2a66-4e08-4ce8-6ce8aaf8d3b5/flower-seeds
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Yes except for rare cultivars. Bees also help but apparently some wind pollination also takes place. You can get many cultivars that vary in size, time of fruiting, chilling requirement and type of fruit. Look around for what suits your garden and climate. If you have room for more than one get varieties that fruit at different times.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I used to plan a visit down to one of the big peach farms in middle Georgia each year. On a large bulletin board they would have all the cultivars they had in production ordered by harvest date, and with the the ones currently being picked marked. It was a long list, and the reason was to keep their workers active throughout the season.
Here's one:
http://www.gapeaches.com/peachVarieties.htm
The dates will vary by where you are, but the order should be about the same.
I'm thinking of their freshly made peach ice cream, mmm.... on a hot hot day.
Jeff

I've seen top-worked peach trees in nursery catalogues. Top-working involves grafting two or more different varieties onto the same root stock. This allows for spreading out the season in a small space.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean