Peach tree

Page 3 of 3
John Bachman wrote:

I know there are "Purists" out there but it is amazing at how they can change their mind at times.
I have a backyard vineyard and make my own wine. Living in in the Mid Atlantic, I HAVE to use fungicides (wine growers in Bordeaux do also ;-) )
I have some "Purists" friends but they never turn down my wine - go figure.
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:23:19 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"

I'm not a purist. I don't use toxins because I don't kill intentionally. Do I kill all day by walking on the floor, ground outdoors smashing ants, swatting flies on autopilot, eat foods which were grown with natural pesticides, Yes. The difference is these are not done intentionally.

Get a broom.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

the yeast dispose of most of these.

use SO2, they will probably be turned off by the wine. I had the good luck to find a case of '83 Pinot that I had forgotten about. It's a little tired but I'm sure an European palette would find it just fine. There are also some experiments in magnums from 1979 that escaped my progeny (grace a dieu).
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Yeah, I know. It's definitely a blunder, that's for sure. Fortunately I live in a country where food is greatly abundant and I don't depend on one tree for food. I mean that sincerely. Still, I won't use poisons so I have to be willing to accept the outcome.

There are organic ways to deal with the issues. See the newsletter link that I posted before. He provides both chemical and organic solutions.
John
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:52:26 -0400, John Bachman

I don't use pesticides, natural or synthetic. Fungicides are pesticides. No worry, this is certainly not the end of my world.
Jangchub wrote:

Perhaps you are trying to explain that in your mind Fungicides are as bad as Insecticides. Technically, they are very different, Insecticides are for killing insects and fungicides are for killing fungus. If you don't want to use them, forget about combating serious fruit tree problems.
Sherwin

Fungicides, herbicides, pesticides and miticides are all pesticides.
Then I won't have fruit.

Hello,
I'm curious where you draw the line. Oxygen could be considered a pesticide if your pests are anaerobic. Water can certainly drown pests. Yet I'm pretty sure, since from your posts you appear quite sane, that you consider neither a pesticide. I'm not trying to give you grief but for you this must be a fairly serious question. We're awash in chemicals, natural and otherwise. How do you pick and choose which ones you'll allow? Or do you just never apply anything at all, ever, in the course of removing pests?
ml

I wrote an article in a Buddhist magazine about this which I posted here weeks or months ago. I do not use any pesticides to remove pests. If you read the post you saw where I say we cannot move an inch without killing something. Ants we walk on, swatting a bug off without thinking, etc. So I'm critically aware of what you're saying and I agree with you. My intention is to NOT KILL INTENTIONALLY. It's just a simple mindful thing I do as a Buddhist. I won't swim laps in my lap pool until I first go in with a screened pool thingamagig and scoop out any insects which are struggling in the water. I look to see if they are in there and save them when I can. It's just a simple act of kindness for all beings, insect, human, snake, rat.
Hi there, ever tried a lemon tree? ;-) http://www.rixa.com/node/32

I have two. One makes yellow flesh and one makes pink flesh. Both are doing very well. I found out this year I am not allergic to citrus. I tell you, ageing is not for sissy's.
Hi, any special care needed for your lemon trees? I am little sceptic as mine tend to shrink... Is it because of the soil?
Alex

What do you mean they shrink? The fruits shrink?
Mine are in 30 gallon tubs which go in the greenhouse in winter. For me they are mostly evergreen. Though they are in tubs, I mulch them and use granular organic fertilizer about three times during the growing season. They are growing in a fertile soil mix half fungal compost and a few shovels of ground soil along with potting pro mix. They need to be watered a lot because of the heat and lack of rain in TX.