Peach leaf curl - copper or sulfur to treat?

Page 5 of 5
On 1/20/2008 12:40 PM, Zootal wrote:

I use a dormant spray that combines a light oil (to kill over-wintering insects and their eggs) with copper sulfate (a fungicide that is both copper and sulfur). This mix is no longer available in combination, but can be obtained with the oil separate from the copper sulfate and with instructions on how to combine them. The mix is diluted in water, about 1 tablespoon of mix to 1 gallon of water. I add some liquid soap to ensure that the spray sticks to the plant and does not bead up and run off.
I apply this right after pruning (weather permitting) and again at the "pink bud" stage (when flower buds just start to show some color but are not yet open). At the time of the first spraying, I mix extra spray and apply it to my roses and grapes to prevent early mildew; if there is any left over, I spray the ground under my camellias to prevent blossom rot.
I finished pruning my peach tree on Friday. However, the weather was not permitting: The wind was too strong for spraying. Other commitments prevented me from spraying yesterday or today. Drizzles and showers are now expected through this coming week. Since any rain within 48 hours after applying copper sulfate generally means respraying, I won't be doing the post-pruning spraying until next weekend.
In addition to spraying, cleaning up old fruit is important for controlling fungus.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Zootal wrote: