Peach leaf curl - copper or sulfur to treat?

I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim to be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

Reply to
Zootal

At pink bud stage, timed properly, you spray every twig and stem and bark of that entire tree. At the proper time do your scaffold pruning and make sure every leaf, and pit is raked up off the ground, and you do a top dressing of fungal based compost along with a layer of mulch. Follow the labels which ever you use. I think the copper works better, but can also be toxic if used improperly. Just make sure you follow the EXACT amounts and don't use more than recommended. More important is the timing just before buds open. I stress making certain you cover every inch of branch, twig and bark and properly cleaning the area.

When the tree leafs out after bloom, pull the mulch away from the drip line and add an application of a premium certified organic fertilze, high in nitrogen. Do NOT over fertilize. Keep the tree well hydrated and give it weekly foliar feeding with a pump up sprayer and liquid seaweed, sold everywhere now.

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More important, do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

Copper works for me.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Here are some treatments regarding peaches that would be best if addressed. Pruning and mulch is a huge one!

Reply to
symplastless

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More important,

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How to you provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
symplastless

Show me some pictures of your trees and the pruning cuts. Plus the root zone.

Reply to
symplastless

Did you prune these trees? How?

Did you mulch these trees? How and with what?

Did you plant the tree? How?

Did you apply N? If so how much over what area?

Reply to
symplastless

BTW I see you are a Mormon? I studied tree biology with Mormons from the different Temples at Salt Lake in 1991. The people in charge of the main Temple grounds maintenance studied with me. Do you know Alex Morris? They would assure you the importance of proper pruning and proper mulching and proper fertilization. The Gamble Oaks are very wonderful there.

Reply to
symplastless

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants? Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred anyway independently of such application?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I use a dormant spray that combines a light oil (to kill over-wintering insects and their eggs) with copper sulfate (a fungicide that is both copper and sulfur). This mix is no longer available in combination, but can be obtained with the oil separate from the copper sulfate and with instructions on how to combine them. The mix is diluted in water, about

1 tablespoon of mix to 1 gallon of water. I add some liquid soap to ensure that the spray sticks to the plant and does not bead up and run off.

I apply this right after pruning (weather permitting) and again at the "pink bud" stage (when flower buds just start to show some color but are not yet open). At the time of the first spraying, I mix extra spray and apply it to my roses and grapes to prevent early mildew; if there is any left over, I spray the ground under my camellias to prevent blossom rot.

I finished pruning my peach tree on Friday. However, the weather was not permitting: The wind was too strong for spraying. Other commitments prevented me from spraying yesterday or today. Drizzles and showers are now expected through this coming week. Since any rain within 48 hours after applying copper sulfate generally means respraying, I won't be doing the post-pruning spraying until next weekend.

In addition to spraying, cleaning up old fruit is important for controlling fungus.

Reply to
David E. Ross

From what I know, either one will work. The important thing is to apply it before bud swell.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

You know John, it is possible to win every battle and lose the war. You are like a bad girlfriend that clings and clings and clings. You may be right but no one wants to here it. Omnipresent is not a good idea. You are becoming back ground noise.

SPARINGLY, voice your opinion, maybe give a couple of references and BACK-OFF. Tell me this and tell me that and define me this and define me that has become one major pain in the butt to many of us. As big a jerk as D. Staples is, he doesn't post four or five times at a shot. As much as I admire what you are trying to do, I'm ready to put you in my killfile. Putain, c'est sufficient. Arrête. Enough.

Reply to
Billy

Why?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

"J. Clarke" expounded:

John, this guy is impossible to talk with, he's got his own very firm definitions for all things in the plant world and will cling to those definitions til the cow comes home, all the while telling the rest of us that we don't use the proper terms when discussing fertilizer, growth, nutrients, N-P-K, etc. If you look back over his posting history you'll see what I mean.

Reply to
Ann

Do you know what stomata is? Didn't think so.

Reply to
Jangchub

Good question. "supplying elements by direct application" I.e., if the leaves are actually taking the elements in.

Reply to
symplastless

We do not feed trees, we do not feed trees, we do not feed trees.

Other than that, we do not feed trees.

Reply to
symplastless

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life. Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be absorbed by plants. We do not feed trees they are autotrophs. We do not feed trees.

Reply to
symplastless

We do not feed trees, we do not feed trees. Telling someone you are is false as well as misleading and wrong! Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life. Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be absorbed by plants.

Reply to
symplastless

Sure, they are suck open on birches, anyway, we do not feed trees. Guess what. You don't feed trees either. What I said I was out on my porch photosynthesizing? Would you let people believe I could photosynthesize? Come on, get honest! Quit attacking the messenger. You are not feeding a tree with elements anymore than I can photosynthesize. Its very dishonest to profess you are.. They are autotrophs. Again, in the USA you can write and say stupid things that make no sense. Product pushers!

Reply to
symplastless