PBS's Victory Garden

Page 3 of 3
Ann wrote:

I liked Roger Swain. He knew what he was doing. It was easy to believe he actually gardened.
The new Australian host is wretched, and with episode themes running the gamut from "Wet," "Dry," "Up," "Down," etc., the show can't help but suck. The worst part is that Kip is virtually nonexistent this season.
The program has deteriorated into something like contemporary cooking shows. It seems aimed toward people who like to have gardens rather than grow them, just as cooking shows are now suited for those who want huge kitchens with expensive professional accoutrement but are indifferent to preparing food.

Hands on = wisdom Reading About = knowledge
I know how to make pickles Vs doing it. We can eat the one but not the other. Hot water for a dead pheasant why?
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

I'd go mad all winter if I didn't read about gardening. Unfortunately, it gives me ideas I'll never have time for.

Dreaming, Joe, it's about dreaming. We need to dream in the winter...
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Agreed. This is going to be the second "summer I didn't garden". I'm going to be doing a lot of dreaming this winter.
On 9/30/07 5:36 PM, in article 47001709$0$3574$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net,

You should check out his books.

Snicker - I know a few folks like that - gorgeous kitchens and order take out if they are not eating cereal.

I stopped watching it 10 years ago. The whole show has been sucking since then. This Old House is also not on the timer any more, particularly since they changed hosts.
Bill. . . .your garden pictures are absolutely splendid, splendid!!! But, the snakes!
Oh my gosh, I'm a Master Gardener here in CT and I know how beneficial snakes are in the garden but I still cannot get used to seeing them there, or anywhere near me for that matter. I'm not afraid of them, they just give me the willies.

ctlady wrote:

Thank you. The snakes sure do keep things lively in the garden. They don't bother me at all except when pulling weeds or picking up leaves and getting a handful of snake. The neighborhood kids love them but most of the parents are like you; they don't want them anywhere near them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

I used to be a staunch viewer of The Victory Garden. However, it got so far from it's original intent that I quit watching most of the episodes. It was good, even for the most part with Roger Swain hosting it, but during his rein, the show went from having useful gardening information to showing the "great gardens" of the world with Peter what's his name and Adrian Bloom. What in the wide, wide, world of sports did any of that have to do with how to raise a garden and benefit from eating what you grew?
Then there was 'Chef Marion'. Her food must have been the blandest food in the world. I wonder if she even knew what seasonings were used for. I wouldn't want her cooking for me, that is for sure. Then she had to go to Europe to watch the chefs over there. Again, I wondered what that had to do with gardening.
When Mikey took over, I thought that maybe he would bring VG back to some of it's former glory, but he proved me wrong. Maybe what PBS should do is to just put The Victory garden out of it's misery and get on with some other type of program.
That is just my opinion, and as usual, your mileage may vary.
Good growing,
Dan Harriman Orange, Texas
On 10/2/07 10:40 AM, in article Xns99BD625A6C02Ckc5gxlsbcglobalnet@207.115.33.102, "Dan"

I think I agree, just end it, put it and us out of our misery.
Marion cooked in a very traditional New England style - bland!
I didn't mind the travel sections as long as they were short (about 5-6 minutes) or it was the dead of winter. I'd have loved to see a show on plant collecting.
Cheryl

I believe Russ Morash was the original producer of Victory Garden. Its concept was based on the Victory Gardens grown in back yards and any patch of unused ground during the war when food was scares and rationed......good concept, great original hosts, wonderful show. I never missed it and give a huge amount of credit to that show for starting my passion for gardening, edible as well as ornamental. Roger Swain did most of his segments from his own personal garden, I liked him too. Russ Morash also came up with the concept for This Old House when he started personal documentation of the restoration of his own farm house and many people would come around asking him how and why questions. He was also the producer of the original Julia Child series on PBS.
Where did Marion come from? She was Russ's wife and a Julia Child wannabe. Go figure! During her tenure as "Chef Marion" it was well known that she wasn't the most beloved person on staff. IMO her cooking sucked (possibly the same method used to get herself the 'chef' slot) but that aside, there were some serious "diva issues" going on behind the scenes. But, how do you tell the producer his wife is a major PITA? My own, very personal take on the 'foreign travel' was that dear Marion whined incessantly enough about exotic vacations and since PBS had "hosts" and not "stars" and the pay wasn't on the commercial TV scale of today good ol' Russ figured out a way to get the old crone these 'working vacations' paid for by the studio budget.......there is no hard and fast basis for this conjecture, just my personal opinion.
About the time all the "visiting this lovely garden" segments started appearing with that droning, boring old codger the original hosts were either leaving for the great compost heap in the sky or just plain jumping ship.......why the hell would I care how they grew frikken palm trees on some remote tropical island or managed to heat a 4,000 square foot green house full of 'collected from extensive world travels' specimen plants, tended by 3 full time gardeners on some bazillion acre historical estate.....and Chef Marion giving her stupefying blathered commentary while was standing behind some person in Guatemala making wild boor and banana flamb casserole.....I stopped watching Victory Garden.
This Old House morphed into the "Norm can build it with more of those damned biscuits" show, and you too can take a decaying heap of rubble and make a lovely historical house for only who knows how many dollars of donated materials and labor if you can supplement this with a $3 million dollar second mortgage.
Watching Ground Force was more entertaining than informative, but I usually did enjoy it and got a few good ideas from time to time. When Titchmarsh left Charlie and Tommy were hard pressed to keep it afloat. When Ground Force came to America it really went down the drain. So much for one more garden schlock program to *not* take up time on a Saturday morning.
FoodTV has gone the same route. Apparently the majority of television production powers that be feel the public needs more entertainment (and I use the word loosely) than education and more "personalities" than experts in whatever particular area. Perhaps I am of the old school and have gone back to my honed skills of reading for research as learned long ago in school when you actually had to do such a thing to find an answer. In 30+ years I have amassed a rather large, impressive personal collection of BOOKS (*gasp*, what a concept, replace reading for the remote) on these subjects for personal reference and take extensive advantage of the massive amounts of information available on the internet to garner gardening and culinary skills and knowledge. I'm also a regular patron of the library, sadly for the masses; seemingly used less than ever. Happily, for me, there's seldom a line at the check out desk.
The other thing that always leaves me amazed (but no longer surprised) are the many simply common and/or commonly simple questions asked of this group that can be answered by a 2 minute or less search on the internet or, heaven forbid, a trip to the public library. How in the world do these people manage to find and post to a newsgroup but can't figure out how to use a search engine? Granted, discussions and exchanges of ideas and information between peers and mentors is a wonderful thing indeed, but when somebody asks what grows in their area because they are going to start a landscape business; or what can grow in my backyard, but never give the slightest clue as to their location are only a few of many posts that just make me shake my head and think........."Ohferchrissakes, these people are breeding and we let them VOTE too?"
And that, boys and girls, concludes the Tuesday afternoon mull and rant program on wreck.gardens.........
Val

My favorite, a real classic from rec.food.cooking:
"Can I make my own lasagne at home? How?"
That's it - the entire message. No hint as to whether the person was asking about how to make the noodles from scratch, or the dish. The OP never returned to clarify this, probably because he/she/it came under heavy (and justly deserved) artillery fire within minutes of the message being posted. The assumption was that even though every lasagna noodle package in the universe contains a recipe, the person hadn't bothered to look, or do a web search, or (heaven forbid) hire a private detective for assistance in locating the nearest library.
Val wrote:
<culled>

[...polite applause...]
Is there a refreshments table set up here somewhere?
On 10/2/07 4:07 PM, in article 4702a543$0$10300$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net,

Yes, I'd like a cup of tea with a slice a lemon...