PBS's Victory Garden

Page 2 of 3

Jim Crockett's book may be about. I have it somewhere but I can't give you ISBD # if it had one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Underwood_Crockett
Worth a search!
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

βœ–

www.powells.com usually has a few used copies.
I really should keep my copy in a fire safe. And, it's one of the few books I'd never loan to anyone, unless they were prepared to die if they lost it. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Crockett's Victory Garden" was published in 1977. Believe he died of cancer 2 years later. Wife was lucky to win a copy of his book at a garden center nearby. I often refer to it.
Frank
Add pictures here
βœ–
once Crockett left I couldnt stand any of the subsequent hosts. why the hell dont they 1. rebroadcast Crockett's series and/or 2. find a woman in the mold of what's her name from that gardening show she would soundly thump pots to get the plants in or out, she was messy, sorta the Julia Child of plants. after all, most gardeners are women!!!
they need to find a host by doing a reality show format. have all the contestants compete for who will be the show's host, with the viewers calling in to vote for their favorite. because these guys on the victory garden really turned me off, especially having somebody's wife cooking vegetarian everything and doing it in such a smarmy way ... blech.
I dont know why I am so turned off since Crockett, whether it is they are talking down to people, they entirely lack any humor, they just look sour, smarmy, they are so obviously obsessed with organic, organic, organic. And they got this pretend "hick" thing going with the Oshkosh by gosh bib overalls. Excuuuuuuuse me!!!
It really turned me off that they ran these "contests" where the people obviously DID NOT do their own work. Well it is nice to have an unlimited supply of money to construct and maintain fabulous gardens, but it does nothing for me at all ...... garden as competition as sign of conspicuous consumption just turned me off.
They need to do some demographics and find out who their viewers are, what the level of "tastes" are and what they want to see.
Now it is very true that I have such a small garden area that most of what they are going to offer isnt going to be of interest to me, but IF it is entertaining, then I might watch. But not somebody pretending to be a hick, nobody treacle sweet or smarmy either. Ingrid

"Australian TV personality Jamie Durie, a horticulturist with a checkered past: he is a former member of the male stripper group Manpower Australia, and in 1994 he posed nude for the art magazine Black+White alongside former fiancιe Terasa Livingstone. It has been publicly speculated in newspapers such as the Boston Herald (August 8, 2007) that his selection as host for the abbreviated 2007 season (only 13 new episodes are planned – down from more than 30 during Swain's tenure, and 26 during Weishan's) is a risky attempt to revive the show's failing fortunes."
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Victory Garden hasn't been the same since PBS sold it to Time-Life. Roger Swain told me that's when he left, he knew they would ruin it, and they have.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I liked Roger Swain (btw, have you read his books?) but some his co-hosts were the pits. Crockett was pretty darn good and a hard act to follow.
βœ–

I've read his books, read his articles in People, Places and Plants, watched him on the same named show, and walked through the Boston flower show with him not once, but twice! He's a wonderful guy, his wife is lovely, and I feel very priviledged to have spent time really talking gardening with him on several occasions.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
βœ–
On 9/30/07 10:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I've wanted to meet him, never get to be at the garden shows when he is.
I did meet Peter Seabrooks once - what a delight he was.
Now - if I'm really dreaming about a gardener I want to meet other than a few of this gang, it's Alan Titchmarsh.
βœ–
expounded:

try the Hillsborough County Fair. he & his wife also hang out there & are very happy to talk gardening/farming. Tom was compairing beards with Roger... lee
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/1/07 2:33 PM, in article Xns99BC9420D8F4Cenigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

I can try!
Cheryl PS - next Tuesday to meet?
Add pictures here
βœ–

i think so... :) lee
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/2/07 12:30 PM, in article
wrote:

We'll talk off line about where.
I have some trees for you and a daylily or three! Cheryl
Add pictures here
βœ–

not orange daylilies?! i have some ditch lilies if you want some... funny story: a friend of ours is having his farm landscaped by some big fancy company. he was showing me the plan to see what i thought. i told him 2 things, no, you do NOT want to plant a blue spruce right at the corner of the house (seriously, it was 3 feet from the foundation in the plan), and you don't have to *buy* the great swathes of ditch lilies (est price on the plan was $350 for regular orange ditch lilies) because i'll *give* you all the stupid damn lilies you want. FREE! :)
i have a lot of perennial phlox (the tall kind that blooms all summer) in my shade garden. would it be happier somewhere sunnier or should i just leave it alone? and if i have to cut back hard a lilac, is that best done right after bloom? this thing is 15' tall with 5-6" diameter trunks. i want it a bit shorter... like no more than 8'. lee
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/2/07 1:31 PM, in article Xns99BD89939D249enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Red - any other colors you want?

I have PLENTLY of orange daylilies and the double ones too

Ask some one else the lilac question, I just let mine do its thing. Move the phlox. C
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, wait til it blooms next spring. One caution, is it sending up any suckers from the roots?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
βœ–
expounded:

lots of suckers from the roots. i cut the ones that grow up between the rock steps & on the garden bed side. the goats & llamas eat any that sprout up on the pasture side of the fence. actually, come to think of it, i'm not sure if the suckers are from the white or the purple... but both need to be shorter. they're rather entwined where they are, & i'm pretty sure they were originally planted there in the 1920s, but it could have been as early as the mid-1800s... do lilacs respond to layering as a propagation method? lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Good. I've seen old lilacs that are reduced to only one trunk, they don't seem to survive being cut back severely (the farm I work on has lilacs that hadn't been trimmed for over fifty years, two of them died when the Squire cut them back against my wishes. He's the boss, but sometimes I really wonder why he asks me).
Cut back each plant after they bloom - and take out the largest trunks completely. They say to get an overgrown shrum under control to cut back by one third over a three year period.

Yea, but why not just dig one of the suckers with roots and use that to increase?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
βœ–
expounded:

because i don't know which are from the white lilac. the suckers don't (or haven't yet) bloom, probably because they're so shaded by the huge overgrowth. there's several large lilacs in the clump. the white is on the lower edge & the tallest. it lost one trunk in the early spring snowstorm here. it has 2 major trunks left. i did move a sucker from another lilac the previous owner planted in dead shade. the main shrub fell over trying to get to light... the poor sucker had almost no roots, but i kept it well watered the first year & it's been growing. this year it really added a lot of fullness & looks really good. hasn't bloomed yet, but i figure it's been settling in. i think it may bloom next spring. if not, well, it fills up a blank spot by a stone wall nicely anyway. lee
Add pictures here
βœ–

Depends on the phlox, as I understand it. We have some sun phlox and some shade phlox, and my books list quite a few kinds (both species and cultivars). Since you have a lot, maybe try a few plants and see how they do?
Add pictures here
βœ–

hm. well, it looks *exactly* like the phlox that is gtowing in full sun on the other side of the house. it does start blooming a week or so later, but i think that's because the shade garden warms really late in spring. is there a good website with different types of phlox photos? i can't say i've seen any like this in catalogs, but it's likely old & just reseeding itsself around. lee
Add pictures here
βœ–