pawpaw trees

How long does it take for pawpaw seedling to begin bearing fruit? They grow so slowly.

Alan

Reply to
nobody

I have a bunch of pawpaws in the wooded area of my lot. They are from suckers, not seeds - in my case. The smaller ones don't even bloom. A few of the older trees flower but only set a small amount of fruit, say 10%. It is my understanding that in order to bear fruit, they have to be pollinated from a tree that is not a genetic clone. Therefore, they are not self-pollinating nor could they be pollinated by the genitally identical trees that result from suckers. In all, I only see a handful of fruit in any year and the wildlife always gets 99% of that. Its hard to understand how anyone could make this a commercial crop.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I have two trees that I bought from a nature center dedicated to preserving native species. They are supposed to be able to cross pollinate. I planted them about 5 years ago and one is about 5' tall and the other - in a bit more sun - about 7 feet tall. Both are very full with really big leaves. I have never seen blooms, yet alone fruit...

Vox Humana wrote:

Reply to
Sterling

They sound a bit small. The ones that small on my property don't bloom. When the larger trees bloom, it is very early in the spring. The blooms are almost black and not very conspicuous.

Reply to
Vox Humana