Paw Paw trees

Has anyone planted or seen Paw Paw trees growing? I planted two today. I think they're in a good spot where they will get enough water and have good soil.
Here's a link I found with some good information that seems like they will grow in West Texas Zone 7. http://www.blossomnursery.com/pawpaw_HABITAT.html
On March 13, I ordered from Burgess seed at www.eburgess.com and expected then in two more weeks, but got them Monday and have been rushing to plant.
6..Chestnut trees 4..Hazelnut trees 2..Paw Paw trees 2..Standard Elberta peach 2..Russian Mulberry
--
Egyptians are demonstrating for womens rights, but they still
kill Christians every chance they get.

A nice selection. However they sell very young specimens, seedlings really... I hope you are very young. I would have bought from a local nursery, you'd spend a little more but at least you'd have trees. Even decent sized balled/burlapped saplings (1" caliper) can take 3-4 years to begin growing after the shock of transplanting and then some need half a lifetime to become large enough to sit in their shade. I planted a couple of sycamore seedlings nearly ten years ago, they are still not really trees and sycamore is considered a very fast grower (I planted London plane trees actually). Hazelnut can take at least ten years to produce nuts, and it's not really a tree, hazelnut is more like a bush. http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/hazelnuts.htm
Peach trees produce a lot quicker, but still I'd buy more mature nursery stock, peach trees are rather inexpensive so why plant a seeding and wait so long. Peach trees are also not very long lived, something to consider if a specimen tree is what you have in mind. For stone fruit trees I strongly recommend semi-dwarf.
Mulberry can be quite messy... don't plant near driveways/patios.
I had thought of planting paw paw trees but upon reading there was something about them I didn't like, can't remember right now.
I planted a flowering chestnut last summer, I'm now waiting to see if it leafs out this spring:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2upxn55.jpg
Good luck with your new babies.
On 03/23/2011 07:03 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I would have bought from a local

peach trees well over 60 years old. Somewhere I heard the dwarf are shorter lived, so that's why I got standard.

something years ago. It doesn't really take a lot of water to have a good marsh, especially when the cattails die back in winter and make a mulch that keep water from evaporating. Cattails are almost like weeds in the way they spread when I keep the area wet down.

nice.

Gardenlen probably has. I'd be very surprised if PawPaws would do well in the same climate as chestnut and hazelnut.

================== I've seen lots of them along the eastern seaboard (DE/MD/VA) mostly understory but I've seen a couple that got huge. Up here in WI the only place I've seen one was at the local botanical gardens. I don't own any property here or I'd have already planted several.