Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn

A year ago, I purchased a "Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn" tree for only $20 dollars. What a deal for a great looking tree, at least from the picture on it's tag. Now the problem.

My neighbor came by for a visit and wanted to look at my a yard and see what I had. When she came across the Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn, She said "Oh my, you did not plant this tree! Do yourself a favor a pull it up and shred it, before it gets to big". She had a such a tree years ago and her husband cut it down.

She states, the thorns are horrible. The thorns are long with sharp barbs that easily breaks off. One such thorn when straight through his boot and the tip broke off into his foot. Had to goto the hospital to have the barb removed from his foot. Also, the thorns has flatten the tires to his large class "A" farm tractor.

The tree is about six feet high. I can see the long thorns on the tree. I have not seen any on the ground yet. I can see the problem. It does look like a very beautiful tree. I looked on the internet and found nothing bad, only pictures and the beauty of the tree.

Is this tree really that bad? Should I save myself from future grief and cut it it down? Will I or a friend end up going to the hospital to have foot surgery?

What a deal for a great looking tree??????????

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.