Patio Tree

We live in South West France. normally we get temperatures of up to 3
degrees C in summer, and short periods of minus 9 to 12 degrees C i winter. We have had a patio consturcted and have left a one metre diameter hol for a tree to be planted to give some shade. The patio is laid on on foot of reinforced concrete, and underneath that there is solid clay which in the hole makes water very slow draining. We have been advise that the tree roots may rise and distort the patio in time. Is thi likely to happen? If so, what type of shrub or small tree would thriv in these conditions without endangering the patio? We would be most grateful for any suggestions
-- Audrey P
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:36:42 +0100, Audrey P

Do you prefer deciduous or evergreen?
'Steve[_17_ Wrote:

We have no preferences
-- Audrey P
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:51:20 +0100, Audrey P

Consider one of the Japanese maples. It would provide year-round interest, something important in such a spot. Japanese maples are very well-behaved in such situations and can take the drainage issues you may have, up to a point.

A Japanese maple will fit in the hole and do quite well.

If you plant the tree too deep the woody roots will often come up and become surface roots.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/ppb1.html
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/ppb2.html
ALSO SEE THE FOLLOWING FOR PLANTING http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
If so, what type of shrub or small tree would thrive

How big is your patio? Do you have room to make a big pot? I can give some suggestions for a big pot. The pot has to be big.