Patchy Grass ?

Hello experts!
I put down about 3 inches of top soil over a lot of my back yard - about 400 sq. feet. Then I put a monstrous bag of Scott's Grass Seed down.
I seeded on May 3rd. The grass started coming up very quickly (within 7 days) , and looks very good. However, there are patches where there is no grass, and is simply earth - even though I *know* there has to be grass seed there as I put down a LOT! lol.
My question is : Should I go in and re-seed these patchy areas ? I've posted 4 pictures for a better idea : http://hipmummy.com/grass /
Advive please! I need to have my son's birthday party out here in just 3 weeks! :-)
It seems to me that when you did not broadcast the seed evenly. That is why there are spots with lot of seedlings and spots with very little. Also, it might be that excessive watering has caused the seeds to float aways from those bare spots.
I would reseed the bare spots now. However, note that the soil might not be compacted enough for foot traffic, especially with running children. The young grass would not able to handle the kids either.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you for the reply Kitt. Yes, there is a good possiblity of the seeds having floated away during watering because I did not level out the soil enough.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I just wanted confirmation that they weren't just growing at different rates.

Thank you for the reply Kitt. Yes, there is a good possiblity of the seeds having floated away during watering because I did not level out the soil enough.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I just wanted confirmation that they weren't just growing at different rates.

Regardless all those little feet will destroy your new lawn.
Planting grass seed too heavily can cause it to compost, generate heat, and kill the seed... with grass seed less is more so I don't recommend adding more seed. You need to exercise patience, it can take a whole summer for grass to mature enough to fill in and accept light foot traffic... forget all about kids partying on that newly planted grass, no one should be walking on it the first six weeks and thereafter not unless they're pushing a lawnmower. I strongly suggest you invest in a few "KEEP OFF the GRASS" signs. Figure on three full seasons before that grass can tolerate kids playing on it, its root structure needs to mature, and depending on the seed mixture perhaps never.
On Fri, 15 May 2009 08:33:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can't expect an even lawn on first seeding. Fill in the bare areas with same seed, keep moist and protect with straw/peat moss. However, it would be good to find the reason for the bare spots.