Passionfruit

Hi folks.
I have a passionfruit of unknown variety, and want to know if I can eat the fruits without harm. While I very much doubt there are toxic varieties, I'd rather know :)
fruits are 1.5 to 2" long and upto 1.5" across Flowers contain purple/brown, yellow, and a very thin band of white.
Thanks, NT
On 2 Oct 2004 10:36:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

No passion fruit are listed in my poison plants book. Some of the fruits tease bad, to me, at least, but a friend says that he has acquired a taste for them and eats them.
The plant itself has some bad stuff in it, Passiflora incarnata has harmine alkaloids, which are indole in structure ... When taken as a tea or cigarette, the plant material acts as a mild stimulant.
--

- Charles
-

^^^^ was supposed to be taste

--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
(N. Thornton) wrote:

Thanks Charles. Add them in small amounts to orange juice, gives it a gorgeous tang :) Something like 3 or 5%.
NT
Hey there,
the leaves of Passiflora incarnata actually act as a mild sedativ rather than as a stimulant, which is why it's used in home remedies fo insomnia. It's quite pleasant tasting as a tea (although it's not s nice when smoked, and to be honest doesn't roll all that well), tw teaspoons of the dried leaf to a cup of water is sufficient, let i steep for ten minutes and then drink it about an hour or so before yo plan to go to bed. :)
Emma
Charles Wrote:

-- HedgeWytch