Passion flower vine - Pruning

After sitting there sullenly for a season, my passion flower vine has taken off running. It is on the West-facing side of my garage. I have trained it by those little stick-ons where you can thread a twist-tie through the stick-on and around the vine.

The vine is reaching the top of the garage. I can train some of the branches around the front (should be pretty!) but what to do about the rest that will be climbing on the roof?

IOW, looking for info about when to prune, at which point in the vine, at which point in the year, etc. Personal input appreciated, as well as referrals.

So. Calif coastal, Zone 24.

Tx!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

tinytee

Great reply "tinytee"

Reply to
Travis M.

You are just trying to handle what you see above ground. Just wait until those roots that are growing as fast as the vines begin to shoot up runners where you never expected any. It took me over 5 years to rig 50 sq ft of passion vine roots.

Tom J who also had the same problem with trumpet vines

Reply to
Tom J

I keep the variety that grows wild along the East coast and raise a couple in large pots for butterfly larvae. The vine is pretty tough to being partially/mostly eaten by the fritillary caterpillars, so I don't see why you couldn't prune as you like, any time you like. It is possible for the butterfly larvae to eat the vine back to the ground and kill a potted plant, since it stores energy in the root, but a reasonable amount of foliage will insure over wintering here.

Regards,

Hal Zone 8 Georgia

Reply to
Hal