Passion flower and Caterpillars.

I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then in the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20% of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the Passion Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing their own host plants? Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Yes, sometimes they eat it to the ground. I lost mine a few years back because it didn't have enough energy in the roots to come back the following spring. I have two half barrel pots now and try to save a few seed just in case, but haven't lost a plant since going to the larger pots.

Regards

Hal in Warner Robins, about 10 miles from Perry GA. :)

Reply to
Hal

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Yes, they can. I had a Passiflora for years until the caterpillars ate it all one year. But if you want the butterflies, you have to feed the caterpillars.

Reply to
Christopher Green

Reply to
Perry Templeton

My vine is in it's second year and did very well,covering about 16 feet of fence and has just stopped blooming this past week, but looks like putting on new buds with this cooler weather; just had two blooms yesterday. Also have several of the G F's and got photo of a pair mating, and also have a number of little redish shiny caterillars and wonder if these are the larva of the G.F. They sure are vociferous munchers. They were drilling into the buds and ruined a lot of them and i squashed a bunch before it occured to me,...duh.. that they may be baby GF's. any one know? thanks, leo/lee

Reply to
Lee

Sounds like Gulf Fritillary larvae to me. The ones I see are reddish brown with spikes. I noticed a couple with a white stripe down the side. Anyone know what is the difference?

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal