Passion flower and Caterpillars.

I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then in the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20% of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the Passion Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing their own host plants? Perry
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:12:29 -0500, "Perry Templeton"

back because it didn't have enough energy in the roots to come back the following spring. I have two half barrel pots now and try to save a few seed just in case, but haven't lost a plant since going to the larger pots.
Regards
Hal in Warner Robins, about 10 miles from Perry GA. :)
I slept in Perry, Ga. on a bicycle trip a few years ago. Bicycle Ride Across Georgia. It's amazing that every state has a town or county named Perry. I have pictures with me at most of them. "Perry in Perry, whatever state!" Perry

Yes, they can. I had a Passiflora for years until the caterpillars ate it all one year. But if you want the butterflies, you have to feed the caterpillars.
--
Chris Green

I have noticed that I have hanging pupae EVERYWHERE. I am going to be overrun with butterflies. Perry

My vine is in it's second year and did very well,covering about 16 feet of fence and has just stopped blooming this past week, but looks like putting on new buds with this cooler weather; just had two blooms yesterday. Also have several of the G F's and got photo of a pair mating, and also have a number of little redish shiny caterillars and wonder if these are the larva of the G.F. They sure are vociferous munchers. They were drilling into the buds and ruined a lot of them and i squashed a bunch before it occured to me,...duh.. that they may be baby GF's. any one know? thanks, leo/lee
On 8 Oct 2004 21:06:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@1starnet.com (Lee) wrote:

Sounds like Gulf Fritillary larvae to me. The ones I see are reddish brown with spikes. I noticed a couple with a white stripe down the side. Anyone know what is the difference?
Regards,
Hal