parkside leaf blower

I bought a parkside leaf blower model plb 3000/5 in lidl a year or two ago ,Isucked up a piece of hard plastic and broke part of wheel inside at top of machine but trying to get a part is like finding a needle in a hay stack does anyone know of a dealer who can get me a part as this is a very good machine .I live in northern ireland so a dealer in uk would be ideal ive tried lidl but no luck tried dealer in instruction booklet he said ask lidl any help would be appreciated

Reply to
fishycharl

I bought a parkside leaf blower model plb 3000/5 in lidl a year or two ago ,Isucked up a piece of hard plastic and broke part of wheel inside at top of machine but trying to get a part is like finding a needle in a hay stack does anyone know of a dealer who can get me a part as this is a very good machine .I live in northern ireland so a dealer in uk would be ideal ive tried lidl but no luck tried dealer in instruction booklet he said ask lidl any help would be appreciated

Reply to
fishycharl

There is a general parts store in Wichita, Kansas. When we had a hardware store we always found whatever type of part we were looking for....I'm sure they have a website, so check it out. I don't remember the exact name but it was something very simple, like gerneral parts or something like that. Good Luck....barb

Reply to
barb

Your leaf blower should have come with an instruction booklet that contains a manufacturers warranty and a phone number or place to write to get warranty work done. If you have lost that you are SOL. You can try contacting lidl here:

have the same problem in the US with companies like Home Depot and Lowes and Walmart. These retailers are so large that they will go to manufacturers like Honda, Toro, etc. and tell them that they want to buy 10,000 leaf blowers at $20 a blower, for resale at $60 a blower. The $60 is very much lower than Honda's dealers would sell a leaf blower for, of course. And the $20 is much lower than Honda sells leaf blowers to their dealers for.

So the only way that the big manufacturers like Honda, Toro, etc. can make money at this game is to offer exactly ZERO after-sales support on the product once it is out of warranty, this includes repair parts. They also want to protect their dealer network from having it's sales gutted by people who would normally buy a Honda leaf blower from the dealer, from seeing the same leaf blower in Lowes for 1/2 the price, so the terms of their deal with Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes explicitly prohibits all mention of the real manufacturer, and the make up a manufacturers' name - in your case, "parkside" so that you won't know who the actual manufacturer really is and won't bother their dealer network with repair part requests.

Warranty requests for these products are always handled by 1 designated warranty office that shuts down as soon as the warranty expires. You will be required to ship them your entire leaf blower - at your expence - where the office will probably throw it in the trash and just ship you a brand new one - that is, if they don't deny the warranty claim outright based on a long list of exclusions in the warranty.

The products are always sold for a very short time - no more than 6 months - and the model numbers and packaging are constantly changed to prevent customers from doing the old retail swap scam* when their device breaks.

The manufacturers also quite frequently substitute inferior parts in the devices that vastly lower their lifespan. For example in a commercial-grade leaf blower the impeller is probably steel and would not have broken due to sucking up a piece of hard plastic.

The entire setup is designed to have customers buy the cheap product, have the product last for a couple years then break, whereupon the customer discovers that they cannot buy replacement parts for the product - tosses it in the garbage, and then buys a new product.

So rather than buying a really nice high quality leaf blower for $200 that you can actually repair, and probably will last 15 years or more, you end up buying a total of 5 leaf blowers at $60 a blower, over that same 15 year period. I'm sure you can do the math and see which is the more expensive way to do it.

So in summary, your options are really as follows:

1) Keep buying new leaf blowers from lidl every 3 years

2) Buy a commercial leaf blower from a garden dealer that will cost considerably more than the one from lidl, but it will last longer, work better, be easier to hold, create less noise, use less power, and be repairable with a network of dealers who can sell and service it.

Your choice.

Ted

  • retail swap scam - the practice whereby a customer breaks a cheap product that is no longer under warranty, goes to the retailer and buys the identical new product, takes it home, swaps in the broken product, then takes the broken product back to the retailer claiming it broke as soon as they tried using it.
Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Choice number three: Rake and broom

Leaf rake - 15 dollars. Exercise - priceless Quiet - priceless Environmental impact - none

doh Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

What about the energy used to make and transport the rake? ;-)

Besides - you can't use a rake to annoy your neighbors. Maybe his neighbor has a dog that craps on his lawn every morning.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Excuse the paraphrasing(Billy): Besides - you can't use a rake to annoy your neighbors. Maybe the neighbor has a dog that craps on his lawn every morning.

You can barrow my petard if you like Joe. I'm not using it at present;-)

Reply to
Billy