palm tree

I'm looking for a palm type tree that will survive through the winter in zone 6. I live in NJ just on the south edge of zone 6, zone 7 is right near us.

There's a Chinese Fan Palm (Livistonia chinensis) growing in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It's been there for many years and somehow it has survived. Sabal Palms (Sabal palmetto) grow in North Carolina. You might have a chance at those. Many of the Chamerops species are grown for interiorscape use. And last but not least, There are Bottle Palms (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) growing in the AirLink train station by Newark Airport.
Good luck.
I checked the zones for all these plants, livintonia is for zone 9-11. I wanted something that can be grown outside.
I checked the zones for all these plants, livintonia is for zone 9-11. I wanted something that can be grown outside.
I think your only hope is plastic/silk.

Fred - the Livistonia in the BBG is outside. The Sabals in North Carolina are outside.
wrote in >

I googled hardy palms at Brooklyn Botanical gardens, because this species (livistonia chinensis) just struck me as wrong (ie, it dies in north florida). The only hardy outdoor palm I can find listed for BBG is Rhapidophylum hystrix - the needle palm native to southeast US. There are apparently 10 specimens of this living at BBG outdoors. Other potential palms for very protected sites in zone 6-7 might be the windmill palm and the palmetto.
wrote in >

Brooklyn
I've been to the BBG four times now and each time I make it a point to show people the Chinese Fan Palm. Google doesn't know everything.

A 5 second search on Google turned up this:
http://www.hardiestpalms.com /
Not so difficult, no?
pam - gardengal

There is a gentleman in Colorado Springs, CO that grows palms that are cold hardy. His website has a lot of information on this as well as links to other places where this palms have been grown successfully. http://hometown.aol.com/fitzroya/myhomepage/cooking.html sed5555