Pale green leaves

I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
--
mario axisa

mario axisa wrote:

What plants?
What is your soil like?
What is you climate like?
David
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:23:54 +0100, mario axisa

A standard soil test should include nitrogen, phosphorous, potash and pH. The results will tell you what you need to add after reviewing the plant's specific requirements.
'Phisherman[_3_ Wrote: > ;857064']On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:23:54 +0100, mario axisa

As I mentioned before, I am a beginner in these things. So please bear with me if I ask whether the mentioned ' standard soil test', is something which I can buy a kit to do myself, or is it a test to be done by a professional in this field? Thanks
--
mario axisa

Welcome to Garden-Planters,
--
gardenplanters

'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;857027']mario axisa wrote:-

> What

The type of plants are decorative outdoor ones, like a Pittosporum and a Cycas Revoluta amongst others. The climate is a Mediterranean one, relatively hot and humid. It tends to be relatively dry most of the year.
As regards the soil, it tends to be pale brown in colour, does not seem 'rich' to me. From what I can guess, it is deficient in certain nutrients, iron amongst others. I would like to have a second opinion from an experienced gardener before adding fertiliser or anything else. Thanks.
--
mario axisa