Owl ID

I couldn't find a suitable binary group for birds, so I posted 'which owl?' to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. A friend sent me photos of owls in her back yard. What a treat!
probably screech. INgrid

Your friend can go to www.enature.com and search by zip code for birds in her area. They do ask for an email address, but a fake one works just fine.

local plants & birds.

Looks like an immature Great Horned Owl to me.
top picture http://www.owlpages.com/species/bubo/virginianus/greathorned4.html
They've got some other pictures of bubo virginianus, but they don't look anything like the one in the link. They've got some mp3s of owl noises, if that helps.
opined:

We have a Great Horned in our yard. It lives in one of our live oaks. I hear it every night. It scared the crap out of me one night when I was taking a very late (2am) hot tub. I couldn't sleep. It swooped down near the pond silently, which is right next to the hot tub and we both freaked out! At first, I thought it was a bat, but there is no mistaking this huge specimen of perfection.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html