overseeding lawn

I found the following in the home repair ng. Not sure which gardening group this fellow subscribes to but it sure sounds like he's got his work cut out for him. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi: > > Not much activity on the gardening newsgroup, so I am posting here. > > I am planning on overseeding a backyard that hasn't been maintained in > over 5 years. Lots of weeds, brush, and some 5-9 ft tall sapling, thin > trees sprung up. I'll use a machete or briar axe to chop down the > brush and weeds. Then I will mow the grass very short, and use a > thatching rake to scrub the lawn of thatch and the mulch leftover by > the lawnmower. Afterward, I will apply 1/4 inch of topsoil, rake in > the topsoil, add seeds, and rake in the seeds. Then of course water a > couple of time a day. Does this sound correct? > > I need advice on what to use for uprooting the woody weeds and the > sapling trees. I assume I take a hand held spade and just dig in and > uproot. Or do I have to go deeper? Do I have to take out the entire > root, or will it just die if I take out the large , main roots? > > And should I wait til it rains before I do any of this work? Been dry > the past week, but there will be 3 consecutive days of rain starting > Wednesday. I thought of doing the brush and weed cutting/chopping > today and tomorrow and wait til Sunday for the uprooting of the woody > weeds and trees after the rain has stopped. Might be difficult to > uproot with dry, hard soil. > > Can I also put down the topsoil and seeds while the ground is wet? i > am still in the planning stages, and don't actually have any of the > equipment( spreader, thatching rake, machete, soil, seed, spade or > uprooting tool), which will all be manual. I received an estimate for > 5 thousand dollars for plowing and reseeding....seed cost not > included. But if I overseed myself, this could cost me a couple > hundred dollars and lots of burned calories. > > Also, should I use a drop or spread seeder( Scotts)? > > Thanks
Reply to
LFR