overseeding - how to?

depending how bug the area you want to over sow, how hard the soil is and how bare the patch is, I usually run a rake across the area if not too large to loosed up the earth a little, throw the seed on and rake it in lightly.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Overseeding sounds simple, but is it? Do I just spread grass seed over the areas I want to seed, and water daily, or must I loosen the soil first and/or cover the seed with straw afterward?

Alan

Reply to
nobody

Make sure you don't have a layer of thatch on the ground. The seed must be in direct contact with the ground. First, mow as low as possible. Spread starter fertilizer and seed. Keep moist. For bare areas use straw to protect the seedlings. It's easy!

Reply to
Phisherman

Other than doing a mow-low, rye grass -- unlike other grasses -- isn't that picky as long as it's cool and there's a little rain.

Reply to
TQ