Outdoor Cyclamen

Would be grateful for some advice please.
We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the uk winter.
We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would be out of the frost and snow.
Thank you
--
aberdeen

On 24/11/2012 13:12, aberdeen wrote:

They are fairly hardy, but won't stand severe frosts - if the corm freezes it will go mushy when it thaws. Overwintering in an unheated conservatory would probably be fine as they don't like too much warmth, either. As long as the conservatory is more or less frost free they will be fine.
--

Jeff

I was just reading about them on Wikipedia a few days ago. Check it out, different species have different low temperature limits.
--
Dan Espen

'Dan Espen[_2_ Wrote: > ;973533']aberdeen snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk writes:

> they

> have

> the

> would

Many thanks Dan, I will take a look at Wikipedia
Jeff, thank you for that.
I did actually bring them in today, I just didn't think a hard frost would do them any good even though they be winter flowering.
They are in the light and the conservatory, though a little on the cold side at the moment will be frost free.
Hopefully they will survive the Winter!
--
aberdeen

aberdeen;973454 Wrote: > Would be grateful for some advice please.

> have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have > no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the > uk winter.

> wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would > be out of the frost and snow.

Hi Aberdeen, I'm assuming that's where you are ?? I have sold about 3000 of these cyclamen this year and the type I grow is a variety called 'Miracle' !! I dont know what B&Q sell but yes, a conservatory where you are might be best but dont overwater them. They will flower until next March/April and then if you have some trees, plant them out under those and they should come up again in August/September next year.
Most people tend to overwater them, leave them dry out and if possible water early in the morning to allow the foliage to dry out before night time.
regards, Lannerman.
--
lannerman

lannerman;973645 Wrote:

Thanks Lannerman, that's really helpful.
I don't know what species they are, it seems to be a generic B&Q plant name "Verve".
I definately take your point about the watering, as the soil was pretty wet. Have pulled out the wilted leaves and will leave to dry out a little then follow your instructions.
Thanks again
Regards
Aberdeen
--