Out of phase ?

Curious whether other experienced home gardeners are observing same phenome non:

Last year or two -- most notable this year -- things are not happened when they're 'posed to. Have not collected exact data, alas, with 20-20 hindsig ht. But generally plants bloom and bear later (I think!!!) than usual per "normal" observations over decades.

First impulse is to blame it on global warming, and maybe that's exactly wh ere blame should fall. Just wanting to collect more data in different zon es as well as mine -- So.Calif.coastal (Mediterranean).

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have noticed that flowering shrubs and trees are blooming EARLIER than normal. Also, many deciduous trees are failing to leaf out normally. My peach tree had only two peaches.

We had a much warmer than usual winter. In the 13 winters from

2000-2001 through 2012-2013, my area had an annual average of 366 hours of temperatures at or below 45F from 1 November through 31 March. This past winter, we had only 127 hours, less than half the average. This was less than the relatively warm winter of 2002-2003, when we had 153 hours.

You likely had even less chill than I since you live closer to the ocean while the Santa Monica Mountains separate me from the moderating effect of the ocean.

Reply to
David E. Ross

We also had very little (no?) chill.

And ONE little rain. (For NG members in other climes: Rainy season is technically November to March.} Hah!!! My already horrifying water bill is going through the roof! And I do not waste water! But neither do I want my ornamentals to suffer/die.

As to food plants, I have had such terrible luck this past year that I just don't see the point in planting. I'll just have to pay the prices at the Co-Op or farmer's markets for decent edibles.

Sigh!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

You a dude or a chick? (It is rude to address folks by the wrong gender.)

Were I am at in Northern Nevada, low pressure system over South PRC rotate moisture off your oceans, around Los Vegas (been humid as hell there), around Utah, and smack into the back side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

For the last three weeks we have had thunderstorm every afternoon because of that. Plus, unseasonably low temperatures. They have finally stopped, just in time for Hot August Nights.

So you too should see some improvements, soon. Just hold on.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Yep. That seems to be the new pattern - ie, no dependability at all.

Have not collected exact data, alas, with 20-20 hindsight. But generally plants bloom and bear later (I think!!!) than usual per "normal" observations over decades.

We've found that things such as the last frost date can't be at all relied upon - one year the last frost date will be weeks earlier, the next year itll be like we get two Springs - a warm spell and every sign that Spring has arrived (such as birds collecting nesting material and bud burst etc and then it's back to really chilly weather again with frosts and that occurs long past the time of the 'old' last frost date. Also, and probably the worst thing, the rainfall has dropped over the past 15 years by about a third.

Climate change is upon us.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

technically November to March.} Hah!!! My already horrifying water bill is going through the roof! And I do not waste water! But neither do I want my ornamentals to suffer/die.

just don't see the point in planting. I'll just have to pay the prices at the Co-Op or farmer's markets for decent edibles.

Insufficient chill will delay yield and ripening in many crops. Enough (lack of chill) will completely inhibit setting fruit in some fruit trees.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

an normal. Also, many deciduous trees are failing to leaf out normally.

inter. In the 13 winters from 2000-2001 through 2012-2013, my area had an annual average of 366 hours of temperatures at or below 45F from 1 Novembe r through 31 March. This past winter, we had only 127 hours, less than hal f the average. This was less than the relatively warm winter of 2002-2003 , when we had 153 hours.

technically November to March.} Hah!!! My already horrifying water bill is going through the roof! And I do not waste water! But neither do I want m y ornamentals to suffer/die.

ust don't see the point in planting. I'll just have to pay the prices at t he Co-Op or farmer's markets for decent edibles.

re: fruit setting: I am a blueberry freak, and for decades yearned to grow them but they required far more winter chill than this area offers. Final ly some varieties were developed that would work here. I tried a couple, b ut they didn't make it past the second year. Maybe it's just me; they keep on selling, but like other such experiments, I took the (tough) decision t o let it be.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Some call it climate change but I call it weather. We had a long snowy, cold winter that would have made you wish for global warming. Term is now out of fashion for "climate change." More or less normal summer and I got lots of tomatoes.

Reply to
Frank

Frank, not to re-open the perennial debate over climate change/global warming -- but could you say if you are a "denier", or just offering a clip of your area's past winter?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

And here we go with the extremist religious terms again.

Reply to
Todd

I'm not a denier but a skeptic.

There may be some evidence to indicate warming but proof that it is man made is sparse and draconian measures to prevent it, I believe, are way out of line.

I also like to needle libs like you ;)

Reply to
Frank

With the liberal, progressive, control freaks, it is a religion. Denier in my work was the weight in grams of 9,000 meters of filament or yarn.

Reply to
Frank

Frank, I thought we were going steady for a while! Now I fear that I might have to consign you to the gehenna where I put all who use the term "libs" when addressing moi.

In the immortal words of the late Rodney King: "Can't we all get along?"

HB (freaking INDEPENDENT!)

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

If you look in the sky and see a flock of birds and they look like ducks, that fly like ducks, that sound like ducks, it is a good sign that at least some of them are ducks.

With the exception of Israel, you are as left wing as they come. You even support butchering helpless children (abortion) in violation of your Jewish faith. (Thou shalt not murder.)

It is a common technique for a left winger to say they are independent. It is, to borrow a term from you, "freaking" disingenuous.

Don't worry. I will still share some of my moon cheese with you. (Might have a tad bit of a problem getting it down here. But, when I do, I will solve the world's hunger problems. Well, unless you are lactose intolerant, then too bad.)

-T

Do I hear some ducks quacking?

Reply to
Todd

We get along when you are rational.

Reply to
Frank

"Rational" as defined by your good self. Look up "Hubris" - the sinful pride that brings down the wrath of the gods.

Sigh. I guess the divorce is final...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson