Ouch that hurt, Bee stings

I was tranplanting perennials last week on a warm day and stuck my spade into a bee's nest. Angry little guys and two of them bit me. They are small yellow and black, half the size of a honey bee. I'm in zone 6b Eastern Ontario. At what temperature is it safe to dig there again.
That should have been zone 6a for all that matters.
snipped-for-privacy@Cogeco.ca says... :) I was tranplanting perennials last week on a warm day and stuck my :) spade into a bee's nest. Angry little guys and two of them bit me. They :) are small yellow and black, half the size of a honey bee. :) I'm in zone 6b Eastern Ontario. At what temperature is it safe to dig :) there again. :) :) :) Yellow Jackets, especially ground dwellers seem to stay active in temps well below what you would think they could handle. I've dealt with numerous colonies very active with the morning temps in the mid to upper 30's.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Since we're talking about bees, can someone identify a bee for me? They were hanging around our horses a few weeks ago and they made the horses very nervous. As it flew, the back end of the bee drooped toward the ground and the stinger was huge and sort of went straight upward and outward from the bee's abdomen. The stinger was HUGE -- easily visible to our eyes. The bees, themselves, tended to move pretty slowly and so were easy to eliminate if necessary.
I'm in central Indiana. We were wondering if this is one of those killer bee/crosses that we occasionally hear about. No one had quite seen anything like it before. It made one draft horse who got stung jump about 20 feet straight into the air.
Thx.