OT-When power fails, what about the food?

When power fails, what about the food?
Since the whole country is suffering from power failures, the following should be interesting.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_152446.html
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_152673.html
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Oh, get a grip, pard. A freezer will hold frozen food with no problem for 48 hours after the power goes off *if* you don't open the door. If the power is going to be off longer than that, find a generator and plug your freezer in for 4 hours out of every 24. If it's freezing weather, put your freezer food out in your meat cache.
All of us out here in the country heard that NYC and Detroit lost power for a day and we all said, "Yeah, so?" We lose power for weeks at a time every winter. (Well, us up here in Alaska do. It's no big deal. There isn't anything on TV worth watching anyway.)
Jan
... , Alaska, 99732
<< Subject: Re: OT-When power fails, what about the food? From: snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) >>
<< Oh, get a grip, pard. >>
____Reply Separator_____
Hold on there! I didn't write the damn article, I just posted it. I suggest all flames be sent to the author(s).
(Jan Flora) >>

You posted it, you're responsible for it.
...and what does it have to do with gardening anyhow?