Bourne Identity

From: Bourne Identity

Reply to
Betty Harris

No volcano's for me!! But I still am tending palms....

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

OK V, still keeping up with sustainable practices and doing well...

Still blazing away with compost extracts. So far the results have been good except in Paggers garden!

Was inducted into the "SFI Hero to Zero" club recently for asking to many questions, but there are a lot more of us than I expected! I've plenty of company and lots to continue to learn.

I was entertained by the vegan fertilizer thread! Every time I lecture with vegans in the crowd, they are shocked by what organics standards allow for fertilizers.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Careful there. The best studies show that compost "extracts" (as the shifting sales-jargon lately decided to prefer, since "teas" having been so roundly discredited) have the same effect in gardens as regular watering. That's a pretty damned good effect, watering. My garden does fine with regular watering, & would do as well (but no better) if I wanted to fall prey to shills & scam artists & self-deluded vested interests who promote pricy equipment to help people waste time making compost teas that would be at best is an inferior tepid fertilizer & in the main no different from watering the garden properly. But the studies are pretty clear: Compost teas/extracts provide no improvement over that of regular watering in microorganism populations, nor in health of plants, & provide no "bonus" features of protection against plant pathogens. Those the plain facts vested despite that vested interests keep denying the comparative field studies apply to THEIR special magical blends.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

Yup I know, just not in your yard.....:>)

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

I doubt he'd like you saying that here, but it takes all kinds I suppose.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

The beat goes on...I don't make teas or extracts, don't have a lot of time any more. I do volunteer work and it's so friggin hot out. Today it was almost 100 by 10 am. Yih.

My brugs are all holding up, datura's are huge and flowering and that's all I care about. However, I am not very fascinated by daylily's. It never ends.

What is SFI Hero to Zero?

I actually do believe there are benefits to compost tea. However, when I went to see a woman named Betsy Ross, of organic cattle farming fame, she told me that the compost SHE uses to make tea costs 50 dollars a cubic foot and anything else was crap. That was the end of my "belief" and the beginning of my, well, not skepticism, but of my becoming more relaxed about the verve I had for it. The tea, that is.

I haven't used an ounce of tea this season and I have some pretty good tomatoes and everything is healthy.

I have noticed a grave decline in the anole and fence lizards, and I now have foxes and bunnies in the garden. Something else lives back there and we've seen an opossum a few times, so it may be that.

Maybe it was the 62 inches of rain we got last year in Texas (these parts, anyway). Maybe the foxes are eating all the lizards? Maybe who knows why.

Anyway, good to see you again and that you are still doing what you love.

Bourne Identity

In article , snipped-for-privacy@siriusradioisbest.com says... :) Maybe it was the 62 inches of rain we got last year in Texas (these parts, :) anyway). Maybe the foxes are eating all the lizards? Maybe who knows why. :) :) I don't recall if you are one that goes out of your way to attract birds..any increase in populations of sparrows, blue jays, mockingbirds, grackles and probably any other medium sized insectivore birds would cause a decrease in the smaller reptiles.

Reply to
Lar

I would agree with your assertion, but before this year, I had literally thousands of lizards everywhere. I couldn't walk anywhere without seeing several scampering around. This year I see virtually none. This is not just birds. Something happened.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

From: Bourne Identity Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 5 days (Jun 26, 9:43 pm).

"I doubt he'd like you saying that here, but it takes all kinds I suppose.

If Tom didn't want anyone to know where he works then he wouldn't have made a fricken TV show about it, would he, Eikel?

Reply to
Betty Harris