OT: Things to do before the inauguration

So swyck are you just another anonymous chicken hawk that sends other peoples kids to die for you misguided opinions, or have you served your country?

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

But cereus, she's just another chicken hawk!

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

What does your question have to do with my question?

Again interesting. Simple questions have all sorts of motives attributed to them.

If you must know, the answer is no to both of them.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

Pay no attention to the twit from Las Vegas. He lives in the fantasy out there and believes it is real.

Reply to
Diane James

So, if you red state rednecks think you have such a firm grasp of reality, why did you re-elect that imbecile to be president again? Didn't he screw thing up enough for you the first time around?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

I'm not from a red state, I'm not a redneck, and I don't claim to have a better grasp of reality then most people. I do have a better grasp then some. At least I can read a question and get a general idea of what it's asking.

To answer your question (not that you care), IMO he didn't screw up more then the average president does, especially considering the circumstances, and I expect him to screw up less then the alternative would have over the next 4 years.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

People are beginning to notice that George W. Bush could well be the Antichrist:

provide the proof & are already totally convinced:
the Pope thinks Bush is the Antichrist:
you'll find several more links to sites about Bush as Antichrist:

paghat

So is that to say the Antichrist will not destroy the world by being evil but rather through complete incompetence?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

I think plain old human incompetence will prove to be sufficient :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Another moment in history...

TODAY, Bush gave himself and Cheney (aka Halliburton):

$(U.S.) 10 billion dollars

-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

My oh my.

Aren't they generous with other people's money?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Jesus H Swyck, you're really not gonna start on posting etiquette? You truly are whack!

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

This is not a confrontational post;

I would like to hear from Swyck or anybody else about the positive things that Pres. Bush is doing. I am truly confused/ignorant about why people like him.

I would think that most gardeners are nature lovers. The Bush administration is openly hostile to environmentalists and openly amourous to the corporations and industries that threaten the environment. This, I find very offensive. Is there another take on this one?

I am also concerned that Bush thinks Americans are superior to others in the world. This may have been true when the founding members of this country were around. After all, people in those days had to have a lot of courage, intelligence and money to cross the ocean in boats to found a new land. But now we have people here from all over the world who are not couragous, intelligent or rich. Are we not just like everybody else?

My third major concern is that religion has invaded politics and media in large part because the Bush administration encourages it. As an athiest, I feel that this is my country and I am concerned that I can no longer watch the news without wondering whose bias is affecting the broadcast. In fact, I have stopped watching news altogether because I feel Americans are getting the same propaganda that is prevalent in communist countries. Don't I have the right to be an athiest in America and don't my beliefs deserve the same weight as christians or jews? Am I not an American of equal stature to others? Is it okay for my money to go toward abstinence only sex education but not for Christian money to go toward realistic sex education?

So please, if you have the courage and can handle the personal attacks that will probably follow, please post some constructive thoughts on why the Bush administration is doing a good job. I just want to understand. Thanks.

Reply to
figaro

IntarsiaCo

People like Dubya for the same reason they like having a bowel movement.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Bush's America Decides Everyone Else Is Wrong -- Again Submitted by sv3n on Mon, 04/07/2003 - 12:55am. Wisdom by Thomas C. Edwards Jr., Salt Lake Tribune [US] April 06, 2003

I wonder at which point in our nation's history future historians will state, "There. That was when the United States decided that 'Divisive We Stand' should be the national norm."

I'm curious because as I watch Our Little War unfold -- replete with the overly pretentious title "Operation Iraqi Freedom" -- I find myself fascinated not only by how this war is slowly tearing our nation apart, but how we seem to be deliberately fostering divisiveness around the globe as well.

You're with us, it seems, or by (our) God we're against you. I'm fortunate enough that my position allows me to travel internationally, where I interact with colleagues from several western and eastern European nations. And it is difficult to ignore their questions, their honest bewilderment as they listen to the rhetoric of war that pours from the mouths of this nation's leaders.

In my naivete I once asked, why don't you support our position? Why do you seem intent on thwarting our every move to deal with what we in the United States feel is an international issue?

And their answer? It goes something like this:

President Bush's America decided the international community was wrong, and declined to participate in the Kyoto Treaty.

Bush's America decided the international community was wrong, and objected to the treaty to limit land mines.

Bush's America decided the international community was wrong, and refused to support efforts to deal with burgeoning world population numbers.

Bush's America decided the international community was wrong, and opted out of the World Court.

Bush's America decided the international community was wrong, and unilaterally abrogated the ABM treaty with Russia, a treaty that brought a measure of comfort to many worldwide.

And now, when the international community feels Bush's America is wrong over its war with Iraq, you in America are shocked?

So they say, go figure, Bush's America. What makes you think you are always right? You have no greater insights on truth than do we.

I still ponder their responses, and I often wonder how we justify ill-advised anger at age-old allies such as France for their refusal to blindly back this war, given our cavalier rejection of issues they feel strongly about. The shameful rhetoric directed by Bush's America toward France and other nations who disagree with us serves no purpose other than to provide a few infantile congressmen with the opportunity to rename "French" fries as "Freedom" fries.

Sadly, the anger that has been directed at the world is now turning inward at Americans who feel Our Little War is ill-advised, that it is morally and ethically wrong, that inspections and world community pressure were, in fact, working, that mechanisms other than "shock and awe" existed for dealing with Iraq, and that the evidence used by our leaders to justify war at the United Nations was, well, to put it gently, somewhat embellished.

That, like it or not, nations wishing to hold to the higher order of ethics we so proudly tout may, as harsh as it seems, have to absorb horrific losses before resorting to war. After all, any idiot can conjure up excuses for pre-emptive strikes, including, for example, the nuclear weapons-possessing North Koreans.

Unfortunately, many of us who question this war are now considered un-American, traitors, leftists, communists (how quaint), as well as a variety of other pejorative labels. Curiously, though, I've not seen anyone opposed to the war refer to pro-war people as "un-American." Nor have I seen anyone opposed to the war spit on or otherwise revile American troops.

In fact, the vast majority of us opposed to this war support the troops, and respect their willingness to defend this nation if attacked. We simply disagree with the reasons our leaders have placed our armed forces in harm's way, for Iraq has not attacked us.

We are no less American for disputing the reasons used to rationalize this war. In fact, we are likely better Americans than many who deride us, for the courage to stand up and disagree is both a privilege and, I would argue, a responsibility.

We are simply exercising our right to disagree. And any other treatment than the respect we deserve only further exacerbates national, and even global, divisiveness. But perhaps that is what is desired as increasingly strident attacks are launched against those who disagree with Our Little War.

But then again, you're with us, or by (our) God we're against you. For divisive, we stand.

----- Thomas C. Edwards, Jr. is a research ecologist and USGS biological resources associate professor in Forest, Range and Wildlife Sciences at Utah State University in Logan.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Around the Bush A look at the president's first year in office By Mathew Gross, Writers on the Range

12 Feb 2002 Remember the eager young Naderites? Although it seems like another lifetime, it was only 15 months ago that supporters of the Green Party were telling us, with a sense of foreboding in their cracking voices, that there was "no difference" between presidential candidates Al Gore and George W. Bush. In the Naderite view, both were shills of corporations who would pursue policies that differed in their despicableness only in degree.

One of these men is not like the other.It was a laughable argument, even then -- one of the stupidest ever made in modern U.S. politics. True, it was mildly amusing to witness people who often couldn't name their own members of Congress become suddenly seduced by dreams of federal matching funds. (Did nobody else remember John Anderson? Patrick Buchanan?) But the end result has been a near-disaster for the issue that was often most dear to Ralph Nader's supporters: the environment.

If the past year has shown us anything, it is that the difference between George W. "Big Business" Bush and Al "Earth-in-the-Balance" Gore is significant indeed. Although some of the fears that Western environmentalists held about a Bush win have not come to pass (no monument designations have been rescinded, for example), many others have. Last month marked the one year anniversary of Bush's inauguration, so this is as good a time as any to reflect on the changes he's made in environmental policy. The verdict? What a difference a year -- and a president -- makes:

Norton has faced a gale of opposition from enviros.January 2001. Upon entering office, Bush suspends implementation of most of former President Clinton's late-term executive orders regarding the environment, including the "roadless rule" protecting 60 million acres of national forest, new standards for arsenic in drinking water, and a phased-in ban of snowmobiles in Yellowstone National Park. To ease California's electricity crunch, the U.S. EPA lifts air-pollution standards for California power plants. Gale Norton, dubbed "James Watt in a skirt" by one enviro for her libertarian views, is approved by the Senate as Interior secretary, and former Sen. Spencer Abraham (R-Mich.), who tried to abolish the Energy Department while in Congress, is approved as Energy secretary.

February 2001. Norton announces that the administration will seek to "adjust the boundaries" of Clinton-designated national monuments. Bush, readying his budget, plans to cut Interior Department funding for environmental policy enforcement by 7 percent. The Republican-controlled Senate introduces a bill that would allow drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge, a proposal that becomes the cornerstone of Bush's energy policy.

Bye, Mike!March 2001. Bush reverses a campaign pledge by announcing that he will not order mandatory reductions of carbon dioxide emissions from the nation's electrical plants. He also withdraws from the Kyoto Protocol on global warming. The U.S. EPA delays new rules regulating hard-rock mining and cancels the implementation of the arsenic rule, inciting a national controversy. The president nominates mining industry lobbyist J. Steven Griles for Interior deputy secretary. Mike Dombeck, the most pro-conservation head of the U.S. Forest Service in decades, announces his retirement.

April 2001. Breaking another campaign pledge, Bush abandons plans to invest $100 million per year in rainforest conservation. Bennett Raley, who once testified that the Endangered Species Act should be repealed, is nominated as Bush's assistant secretary for water and science. The Interior Department seeks to limit citizen-initiated lawsuits involving the Endangered Species Act. Vice President Dick Cheney, heading up Bush's secret energy task force, meets with Enron executives for advice.

May 2001. The Bush administration places a freeze on new proposals for expanding the national park system. The president nominates James Connaughton, notorious for his legal defense of General Electric in Superfund fights with the EPA, to be the chair of his Council on Environmental Quality, and Congress approves Linda Fisher, former head of Monsanto's government affairs office, as second-in-command at the EPA. A federal judge warns the administration that it could be held in contempt of court if it fails to remove cattle from parts of California's Mojave Desert in order to protect the endangered desert tortoise. Bush releases his energy plan, devised in secret by a task force headed by Cheney. The administration announces it will uphold but modify the roadless rule.

Jim Jeffords' declaration of independence.June 2001. The chickens come home to roost: Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords, citing Bush's hostile environmental policies, leaves the Republican Party to become an Independent, handing control of the Senate to the Democrats. Norton announces she will block plans to reintroduce the grizzly bear in Idaho, killing a landmark compromise between local environmentalists and industry that would have allowed reintroduction. During the president's first summit with the European Union, protesters on the continent deride Bush for his global warming policies. Former timber lobbyiest Mark Rey is nominated for Agriculture undersecretary for natural resources and environment.

July 2001. The administration announces it will open 1.5 million acres of the Gulf of Mexico to oil drilling -- although not near Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's shorelines. William G. Myers, a former lobbyist for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, is confirmed as the Interior Department's new solicitor, and regulation-phobic John Graham of Harvard's Center for Risk Anaylsis is confirmed as the influential administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs. Environmentalists sue the EPA for failing to meet deadlines for controlling hazardous air pollution in cities. More than 185 nations back the Kyoto Protocol at climate talks in Bonn, Germany. The U.S. is conspicuously absent.

August 2001. The Justice Department indicates that it will seek to overturn a federal court order blocking oil and gas exploration off the California coast. The General Accounting Office sends a letter to Bush demanding the release of documents relating to the deliberations of the Cheney-led Energy Task Force. Citing executive privilege, Bush refuses to reveal with whom Cheney met.

September 2001. On Sep. 11, terrorists attack the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Bush wastes little time in using the attacks as a justification for decreased dependence on foreign sources of fossil fuel (read: increased coal mining and oil drilling in the U.S.). On Sep. 20, the Forest Service publishes a proposal that would allow forest supervisors to approve small-scale timber sales, road construction, mining projects, and off-road vehicle trails without seeking public input. The EPA issues a weak proposal regulating emissions of off-highway recreational vehicles, allowing dirtbikes and snowmobiles to continue fouling the air in national forests and parks.

The U.S. blows off 160 nations in Marrakech. Photo: Climate Network Europe.October 2001. Disproving Bush's assertion that the Kyoto Protocol was "fundamentally flawed" and unworkable, 160 nations (minus you-know-who) agree on a finalized set of rules for reducing global greenhouse emissions. The Interior Department says it will support an open-pit gold mine near El Centro, Calif. Without public notice, the BLM relaxes temporary management rules in 14 of the national monuments created by Clinton, allowing increased vehicle use and mining activity.

November 2001. Bush nominates Rebecca Watson as the Interior Department's assistant secretary for land and minerals management. Watson, who has made a career representing the mining and logging industries, is also a member of the Board of Litigation for the far-right, anti-environmental Mountain States Legal Foundation.

December 2001. The White House grants initial approval to a set of administrative rules that would weaken the Clean Air Act by allowing coal-burning plants to bypass "new source" pollution standards when upgrading their facilities.

January 2002. The administration turns its attention to the Clean Water Act, as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announces new rules that make it easier for developers to build on wetlands. The administration also kills a Clinton-era program designed to improve automobile fuel efficiency in the near-term through the use of hybrid engines; instead, Bush says he'll back research into hydrogen fuel cells, which should be available to consumers who wish to reduce their contribution to global warming in about, oh, 20 years.

Now tell me truly: Do you really think Al Gore would have been just as bad?

- - - - - - - - - -

Mathew Gross is the editor of The Glen Canyon Reader, forthcoming from the University of Arizona Press. He lives in Moab, Utah.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

George W. Bush Resume

Past work experience:

Ran for congress and lost.

Produced a Hollywood slasher B movie.

Bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas, company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock.

Bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using tax-payer money. Biggest move: Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox.

With fathers help (and his name) was elected Governor of Texas.

Accomplishments: Changed pollution laws for power and oil companies and made Texas the most polluted state in the Union. Replaced Los Angeles with Houston as the most smog ridden city in America. Cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas government to the tune of billions in borrowed money. Set record for most executions by any Governor in American history.

Became president after losing the popular vote by over 500,000 votes, with the help of my fathers appointments to the Supreme Court.

Accomplishments as president:

Attacked and took over two countries.

Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.

Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.

Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period.

Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.

First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.

First president in US history to enter office with a criminal record.

First year in office set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president in US history.

After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided over the worst security failure in US history.

Set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips than any other president in US history.

In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.

Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in US history.

Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12 month period.

Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in US history.

Set the record for the least amount of press conferences than any president since the advent of television.

Signed more laws and executive orders circumventing the Constitution than any president in US history.

Presided over the biggest energy crises in US history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.

Presided over the highest gasoline prices in US history and refused to use the national reserves as past presidents have.

Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.

Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.

Dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.

My presidency is the most secretive and un-accountable of any in US history.

Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in US history. (the 'poorest' multi-millionaire, Condoleezza Rice has an Chevron oil tanker named after her).

Had more states to simultaneously go bankrupt than any president in the history of the United States.

Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world.

Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States.

Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in US history.

First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the human rights commission.

First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the elections monitoring board.

Removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of congressional oversight than any presidential administration in US history.

Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

Withdrew from the World Court of Law.

Refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.

First president in US history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 US elections).

All-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations.

My biggest life-time campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).

Spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US history.

First president in US history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community.

First president to run and hide when the US came under attack (and then lied saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1)

First US president to establish a secret shadow government.

Took the biggest world sympathy for the US after 911, and in less than a year made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in US and world history).

With a policy of 'dis-engagement' created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.

Fist US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.

First US president in history to have the people of South Korea more threatened by the US than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.

Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.

Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated US law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.

Failed to fulfill my pledge to get Osama Bin Laden 'dead or alive'.

Failed to capture the anthrax killer who tried to murder the leaders of our country at the United States Capitol building. After 18 months I have no leads and zero suspects.

In the 18 months following the 911 attacks I have successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.

Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in US history.

In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the US has ever been since the civil war.

Entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.

Records and References:

At least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available).

AWOL from National Guard and Deserted the military during a time of war.

Refuse to take drug test or even answer any questions about drug use.

All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my fathers library, sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.

All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.

All minutes of meetings for any public corporation I served on the board are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.

Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public review.

For personal references please speak to my daddy or uncle James Baker (They can be reached at their offices of the Carlyle Group for war-profiteering.)

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

I think it's very positive how despite all the stress he must be under, getting so many Americans killed & all, that he has managed even so to stay in recovery & not be the drunken cokehead he was in college.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

" I think it's very positive how despite all the stress he must be under, getting so many Americans killed & all, that he has managed even so to stay in recovery & not be the drunken cokehead he was in college."

Or has he? He looks like a drunken cokehead to me.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...